corporal punishment - never did me any harm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
If you had a Catholic school education with the sadists I had to see every day, you would have the same opinion

All my schooling was in Catholic schools and some of the Nuns were the hardest caners around I think they had a motto

"suffer the little children and beat them black and blue"

twobiker

To arrive at a stage where it is felt that all "other" forms of discipline have failed, and that only CP is left is the time when the child should be removed from the school, taking them out of their comfort zone of like minded individuals/gang/friends will rob them of the brave in numbers mentality that a lot of them seem to thrive on.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
To arrive at a stage where it is felt that all "other" forms of discipline have failed, and that only CP is left is the time when the child should be removed from the school, taking them out of their comfort zone of like minded individuals/gang/friends will rob them of the brave in numbers mentality that a lot of them seem to thrive on.

That is a very good point. It works as long as their is another place they can be sent to in order to continue with an attempt to educate them. Far better than expulsion/suspension.

twobiker

That is a very good point. It works as long as their is another place they can be sent to in order to continue with an attempt to educate them. Far better than expulsion/suspension.
Unfortunately, from my memory of the event , receiving the cane was seen as a sort of "status" thing, having got it for engaging in a "whack the kid next to you with your PE shorts game, we were 15, the other kids all thought we were cool, so it may have the opposite effect to what is required.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Unfortunately, from my memory of the event , receiving the cane was seen as a sort of "status" thing, having got it for engaging in a "whack the kid next to you with your PE shorts game, we were 15, the other kids all thought we were cool, so it may have the opposite effect to what is required.

My memories were being terrified of being caned and it would not have been a status symbol to me. There were many who treated it that way but as I was brought up to respect authority being caned meant I had not done that and as such was a shaming thing. If I had been made to wear a yellow armband for the day (as a mark of being naughty) it would have had the same effect.

U

User482

I didn't have any choice as to whether or not I played the damn game I assure you. I would have prefered the cane.

So you want to ban rugby because they made you play it at school, and you didn't like it. Sounds like a similar rationale for banning corporal punishment

twobiker

One is designed to inflict just enough pain to stop the participant from ever wanting to do it again. The other is corporal punishment.

There's the answer then, tell them to behave, if not make them go out and play Rugby every day, maybe getting crushed underfoot a lot would make them wise up. best of all , its called sport.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
There's the answer then, tell them to behave, if not make them go out and play Rugby every day, maybe getting crushed underfoot a lot would make them wise up. best of all , its called sport.
It would have put the fear of the gods into me!

We say that we couldn't justify beating an adult be some think it is ok to do so to a child. Most disagree.
Yet we force children to play violent sports. When was the last time anyone thought it was ok to force an adult to play rugby?

It never did me any harm either but I still don't think it's right. We don't beat adults to punish them so why should youngsters be different? Even if we did have a culture of more physical punishment for adults I would be uneasy about using it on anyone below 18.

I do however think that youngsters need to be taught that responsibilities come along with rights and they are probably more important. How we teach this I have no real idea as each person is different.

Top Bottom