Correct bearings for Mavic Aksium wheels + where to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanPrice

As title says.

My wheels need new bearings, they are 2008 Mavic Aksiums.

Does anyone know how many i will need/what size/best make/and where to purchase these?

That would be great.

Thanks in advance

Mr Pig

If they are cartridge bearings they will have a number stamped on the side. If you take the bearing to a bearing supplier they'll be able to get them for you, even if they don't have them in stock. Just ask for high-quality ones like FAG or SKF, there are some really rubbish bearings on the go, typically from Eastern Europe or China. Japanese ones are usually good.

OP
OP
D

DanPrice

Thanks Mr Pig and Dodgy, that website is great and they seem to stock SKF and FAG.

Just one more question to anyone in the know, (it may be a dumb one), but how do i remove the bearings from the hub? They seem to be pressed in to the axle/hub.

Mr Pig

Yes, they'll be pressed in. I would recommend that if you're not familiar with removing and fitting bearings you get someone else to do it. It's not a hard job but you need to be careful not to damage the housing and put the new bearing in straight and fully home. If the bearing's not fitted right it will bind and at best be stiff, at worst damage something.

If you can get someone to show you how to take them out and fit them you should be able to do it yourself in future. As I say, it's not that hard.

Top Bottom