Correct chain for a Raleigh LTD-3 3 speed bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

af66

Hello all...I am trying to fix up my wife's old Raleigh 3 speed bike that she had when she was a child. The bike was missing the chain so I went down to our local bike shop to get a chain to put on it. I was given a Shimano CN-HG40 8 speed chain and was told this chain would work. Upon cutting it to size and installing it, the chain seems to fit nicely on the front but not on the rear cog. After trying to adjust the rear wheel, it still doesn't seat on the cog like it is supposed to and as a result it won't engage the wheel consistently when pedaling. I'm starting to think that this chain isn't the right one for this bike..Does anyone have any experience with this type of bike and the correct chain to purchase? I have seen other Raleigh 3 speeds (not this model) reference a 1/8 x 1/4 chain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Sharky

Guru
The rear sproket sounds like it needs a 1/8th width chsin. An 8 speed will be a bit narrower.

Not sure where your 1/4 comes from?

The chain will be 1/8th (wide) and each link will be 1/2" long.

Alternatively, replace the rear sprocket with a narrower 3/32nd wide sprocket. Your existing old sprocket is bound to be a bit worn, so this could be your best option. Go back to the LBS and tell them the symptons.

Good luck

Ajax Bay

Guru
By recommending/providing/selling an 8sp chain your LBS have not given you top notch service - perhaps they are not used to 'really old' bikes/sprockets/3sp SA. The chain you've been provided is 25% narrower than the correct one. They should provide a free replacement.
AASHIA
"Chain size is specified by pitch and width. The pitch is the distance between rollers (1/2" on all modern bicycle chain). The width is nominally the width where the sprocket teeth fit in. Bicycle chain comes in . . . :
  • 3/16" (.1875", 4.76 mm), used until the middle of the 20th century on many bicycles; this was inch-pitch chain.
  • 1/8" (0.125", 3.18 mm) chain is used on most single-speed bicycles, and bicycles with internal gearing.
  • 3/32" (0.094", 2.30 mm) chain is used on derailer equipped bicycles that have more than 3 cogs at the rear.
"There is some confusion in these numbers because the actual width of a 1/8" sprocket is typically 1/8"(3.175 mm) and the gap between the inner side plates of the chain must be slightly wider to fit over the teeth. The width of the teeth on derailer-equipped bicycles with 5 or 6 rear sprockets was traditionally 2 mm, and the 3/32" (2.30 mm) chain would fit over those teeth"

Top Bottom