Correct nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
I have recently increased my riding to between 100 - 130 miles per week, with most rides starting within an hour of getting home at 16.30.
I'm surprised how varied my energy levels feel between many of my rides and I wondered if my nutrition was to blame?

My diet / exercise has been aimed at weight loss and at 20kg lighter than the start of this year, I feel good about this. My lunch is pretty much always a Morrisons salad comprised of couscous, tomato, sweetcorn, beetroot and is usually about 12.30.

Breakfast is always 3 weetabix.

Evening meal is usually based around good portions of chicken / fish with rice, veg etc etc (no naughty stuff).

All tips greatly appreciated. Neil

Breakfast around 400 calories
Lunch around 400 calories, if that
Chicken around 200, rice around 150, veg probably 150 max

So you're eating 1300 calories a day, burning probably around 600?

Figures don't add up.

ayceejay

Guru
It is my understanding that a body requires a minimum of calories just to get through the day, 1300 might be close to your minimum: it is not the same for every body. Obviously, if you are active you need to fuel this activity over and above your minimum otherwise your body will use its own intelligence to survive and this is not a good thing. Using emergency food is not the way to go and I think you should not just count calories but consider their source and have carbs/fat/protein at every meal (any protein in Weetabix?). Eating carbs with fat and/or protein will slow down its absorption.
I feel a lecture coming on so I will stop there.

VamP

Banned
Breakfast around 400 calories
Lunch around 400 calories, if that
Chicken around 200, rice around 150, veg probably 150 max

So you're eating 1300 calories a day, burning probably around 600?

Figures don't add up.

You've added up some made up numbers and are surprised they don't balance? :rolleyes:

400bhp

Guru
No I'm not, ask some of the lads here. I only don't cycle 7 days a week because of family commitments.

OP
OP
Lien Sdrawde

Lien Sdrawde

Über Member
It is my understanding that a body requires a minimum of calories just to get through the day, 1300 might be close to your minimum: it is not the same for every body. Obviously, if you are active you need to fuel this activity over and above your minimum otherwise your body will use its own intelligence to survive and this is not a good thing. Using emergency food is not the way to go and I think you should not just count calories but consider their source and have carbs/fat/protein at every meal (any protein in Weetabix?). Eating carbs with fat and/or protein will slow down its absorption.
I feel a lecture coming on so I will stop there.

I don't mind a lecture - and i'll try and learn from it. Thanks to all for the tips. Peanut butter is on tomorrows shopping list for sure. Neil :smile:

ayceejay

Guru
If you go to this site (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com) you will find fairly simple information on how the body absorbs and utilizes food, my (over)simplification is that the body absorbs carbohydrates fats and protein to provide energy but absorbs them in different ways. What is not stated here is how successful a mixed diet is in sustaining the energy flow, which was the point I was making but so far I have not found anything on the interweb to back this up in any way that might be considered 'scientific' but I am still looking.
You might want to experiment to find out what suits you best but I think you will feel a difference if as well as your porridge you have an egg and some fruit. Also, since you are already buying peanut butter (fat and protein) try it alone before your ride then try it with honey then try the honey alone and see if you notice any difference.

redcard

Veteran
You've added up some made up numbers and are surprised they don't balance? :rolleyes:

It's really not that hard to work out calories in Weetabix, it's right there on the side of the box.

Eating healthy and losing weight is mostly common sense - something you may be lacking if that post is anything to go by.

VamP

Banned
It's really not that hard to work out calories in Weetabix, it's right there on the side of the box.

Eating healthy and losing weight is mostly common sense - something you may be lacking if that post is anything to go by.

OK Einstein. How did you work out the rest of it? Did you count the milk? Where on Earth does 600 calorie daily burn come from?

I might not have very much common sense, but what does that say about you?

redcard

Veteran
OK Einstein. How did you work out the rest of it? Did you count the milk? Where on Earth does 600 calorie daily burn come from?

I might not have very much common sense, but what does that say about you?

Work out the calories yourself, you'll see my estimates are accurate.

The 600 calorie burn comes from my own experience of riding 25 miles a day for the last 18 months.

How many calories do you think he's burning?

VamP

Banned
Work out the calories yourself, you'll see my estimates are accurate.

The 600 calorie burn comes from my own experience of riding 25 miles a day for the last 18 months.

How many calories do you think he's burning?

Seeing as you're estimating his portion sizes your estimate is accurate +/- 50%. I.e. a total guess.

His BMR will be 2000 to 3000 per day. As to his other activities, you are again guessing. By piling guesses on top of guesses you are arriving at nothing but noise.

VamP

Banned
No I'm not, ask some of the lads here. I only don't cycle 7 days a week because of family commitments.

Just because it's possible does not mean it's optimal. But I suspect you know that, hence why I asked about your mischievousness.

Top Bottom