Correct nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have recently increased my riding to between 100 - 130 miles per week, with most rides starting within an hour of getting home at 16.30.
I'm surprised how varied my energy levels feel between many of my rides and I wondered if my nutrition was to blame?

My diet / exercise has been aimed at weight loss and at 20kg lighter than the start of this year, I feel good about this. My lunch is pretty much always a Morrisons salad comprised of couscous, tomato, sweetcorn, beetroot and is usually about 12.30.

Breakfast is always 3 weetabix.

Evening meal is usually based around good portions of chicken / fish with rice, veg etc etc (no naughty stuff).

I live in a fairly hilly area and for some bizarre reason head straight for them. I use 'Zero High 5' as my drinks on the bike and have recently been taking out a couple of fig rolls.

All tips greatly appreciated. Neil

Judderz

Try having a banana or two, nuts or the like around 3-3.30pm

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You will always get the odd day when you are a little fatigued. I would eat a bannana before the ride and take one with you or a flapjack or similar if you are riding over 30 or 40 miles at a time.

Andy_G

Im like you in some ways, i generally go 50% carbs 35% protein 15% fat as a guide line with about 2000 cals a day monday - friday and pig out more weekends, like this i seem to have more energy and after a 60-70 mile ride i dont ache.

Snapper88

I find two bananas some peanut butter & milk blended together works well for me. Being a beekeeper I also add some honey but thats just for a little taste

VamP

Banned
It's probably not nutritionally related. It's normal to build up fatigue. Take rest days when you feel (really) tired.

Julia9054

Guru
I am assuming from your post that you are riding before your evening meal? Personally, I need to eat every 4-5 hours whether cycling or not! If I tried to cycle having last eaten a small lunch at 12.30, I'd fall off my bike before I reached the end of the road!
My favourite post work, pre cycle snack is a crunchy peanut butter sandwich. Salty, sweet and packed full of energy. Come to think of it, that's what I eat when I get back from my ride too!

Top Bottom