Correct nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
"Correct nutrition" then guessing portion sizes and calorie burn? Dub yaa tee eff?

:popcorn:

amaferanga

Veteran
Quite so, but have we determined who is riding and who is training . Or are we just working from assumptions ?
No idea.

ayceejay

Guru
Quite so, but have we determined who is riding and who is training . Or are we just working from assumptions ?
I agree this is often the cause of confusion here, although
Eat like a normal person. Ride your bike a bit
is good advice for a normal person who is worrying too much it doesn't help an aspiring athlete. That being said a serious athlete in training for an event or two should be more serious about nutrition than the cod science served cold here.

redcard

Veteran
Seeing as you're estimating his portion sizes your estimate is accurate +/- 50%. I.e. a total guess.

His BMR will be 2000 to 3000 per day. As to his other activities, you are again guessing. By piling guesses on top of guesses you are arriving at nothing but noise.

The point of my post was to provoke the OP into giving more accurate information so he may be given appropriate guidance, not to get the thread sidetracked with worthless one-upmanship, which is what you attempted to turn it in to.

VamP

Banned
The point of my post was to provoke the OP into giving more accurate information so he may be given appropriate guidance, not to get the thread sidetracked with worthless one-upmanship, which is what you attempted to turn it in to.

More noise.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I have recently increased my riding to between 100 - 130 miles per week, with most rides starting within an hour of getting home at 16.30.
I'm surprised how varied my energy levels feel between many of my rides and I wondered if my nutrition was to blame?

My diet / exercise has been aimed at weight loss and at 20kg lighter than the start of this year, I feel good about this. My lunch is pretty much always a Morrisons salad comprised of couscous, tomato, sweetcorn, beetroot and is usually about 12.30.

Breakfast is always 3 weetabix.

Evening meal is usually based around good portions of chicken / fish with rice, veg etc etc (no naughty stuff).

I live in a fairly hilly area and for some bizarre reason head straight for them. I use 'Zero High 5' as my drinks on the bike and have recently been taking out a couple of fig rolls.

All tips greatly appreciated. Neil

You don't mention your vital stat's Neil, but I'd say it sounds like you're not eating much. I'd recommend little and often, and major on protein and fats, minimise carbs, especially refined. So for example between meals eat nuts, or avocados (both examples of very healthy fats). Avoid pototoes pasta and the like. I've used this strategy over 7 years to cut my bodyfat from over 30% to around 10%, I've also found it's helped me in many other ways, it tends to keep my energy more level, and I'm never hungry.

Other thing is make sure you're drinking enough, dehydration will cause fatigue, and if you wait till your thirsty it's too late!

OP
OP
Lien Sdrawde

Lien Sdrawde

Über Member
You don't mention your vital stat's Neil, but I'd say it sounds like you're not eating much. I'd recommend little and often, and major on protein and fats, minimise carbs, especially refined. So for example between meals eat nuts, or avocados (both examples of very healthy fats). Avoid pototoes pasta and the like. I've used this strategy over 7 years to cut my bodyfat from over 30% to around 10%, I've also found it's helped me in many other ways, it tends to keep my energy more level, and I'm never hungry.

Other thing is make sure you're drinking enough, dehydration will cause fatigue, and if you wait till your thirsty it's too late!

Many thanks. Ive increased my input of food cosiderably since first posting this thread - as a result my rides feel a lot stronger.
At 52 yrs old (1.85m) i've dropped from 108kg to a just about 90kg since March. The last two weeks ive dropped 1kg having eaten quite a lot of pasta / potatoes etc as I was using this as a source of energy (carbs) and also taking flapjacks on runs, which have inluded in the last ten days rides of 60, 40, 35, 35, 30, 25, 25, and 15 miles.
Ive tried porridge (yuk) and put raisins in it (still yuk) so a good alternative is needed - also have started using peanut butter with jam sandwiches which are really tasty.

Thanks to all as i'm definately stronger than I was but know I still have a way to go to improve - especially with strength on hills. Neil

Many thanks. Ive increased my input of food cosiderably since first posting this thread - as a result my rides feel a lot stronger.
At 52 yrs old (1.85m) i've dropped from 108kg to a just about 90kg since March. The last two weeks ive dropped 1kg having eaten quite a lot of pasta / potatoes etc as I was using this as a source of energy (carbs) and also taking flapjacks on runs, which have inluded in the last ten days rides of 60, 40, 35, 35, 30, 25, 25, and 15 miles.
Ive tried porridge (yuk) and put raisins in it (still yuk) so a good alternative is needed - also have started using peanut butter with jam sandwiches which are really tasty.

Thanks to all as i'm definately stronger than I was but know I still have a way to go to improve - especially with strength on hills. Neil

If porridge is a problem and you like the taste and texture of cereals like Wheetabix you could try milled flax/pumpkin/hemp seeds or a combination of them in porridge. They add extra nutrients and alter the texture.

Top Bottom