Correct size frame, an age old question, but again..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am sure we have talked about how to select the correct frame size many times in these pages. But I want to ask your view about it again.

I want to buy B'Twin Triban 520 flat bar bike. According to their website I should select size small, I am just 165 cm tall. I have Triban 300 road bike and I must say that it is my best bike. It fits me so well. It is Medium size. I measured all its dimensions as it is the perfect fit for me. Then I looked at the Triban 520 geometry and it actually corresponds to the size Medium in 520 flat bar bike with regard to top tube, seat tube and head tube. I did not measure the angles.

I went to their store and tried it on the shop floor. I feel comfortable on Medium. But the shop assistant tells me that I should get the Small as that is what their guide says. I came home and thought I will ask from my trusted source of advice!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Stuff the guides - get what's comfortable for you.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Guides are only guides.

But I dont think you can decide if a bike fits you just by sitting on it in the shop.

I would try both sizes and go for a ride of at least a few miles.

Evans are pretty good at allowing test rides and if you still think you have wrong size will change it up to 30 days.

There is nothing worse than a wrong size bike frame .you can change stems seatposts etc but your just making the best of a bad job it will never be quite right.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Get a proper bike fit to be sure before you part with your hard-earned money

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Of course you can alter the dimensions with stems etc but if altering big amounts then bike is wong size.

Back to the OP I find a small to medium hybrid works ok for me but on a road bike I am somewhere between medim and Large so if possible try both sizes for a ride.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm 165cm too. I think I would opt for small myself, but then I have quite short legs too, and I like to have a fair bit of seatpost showing too. I do tend to prefer a longer stem on smaller frames with shorter top tubes though. However I haven't tried the bike. I was thinking of getting one after my hip replacement to give me a more upright position but the small 520 was never in stock in when I was in Decathlon (or online). Be interesting to see a photo of your position on your current bike maybe?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Except you generally need a bike to be fitted on. Doesn’t sound like Decathlon offer the service in store pre purchase
You don't - a good bike fitter will take all your measurements using a jig & computer software to work out what is required for you. Then you can look at the all frame measurements of the bike you would like

Top Bottom