Cost of bathroom refurbishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The sink unit in the main bathroom has been broken and the bath is stained beyond redemption. They were in when we bought the house 23 years ago, so I suppose it's time to bite the bullet and have it redone. However, it seems a bit complicated in that you have to have several different tradespeople eg. plumber, tiler and electrician.

A fairly plain bathroom suite seems to be about £650 and there's five square metres of tiling. Would a figure of £1000 in total for materials and the same again for labour be a sensible estimate?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£1k not bad - materials may be about £400 - £500 (bath, loo, sink, tiles, grout etc) - £150 a day labour minimum...(that's cheap rate)...

Willow

depends if you're just refitting and tiling or re-designing and adding. I'd be surprised if you can get anyone to do it for that. Don't forget flooring, lighting etc you'll want it all done once you start! then of course it will make everywhere else in the house look as though it needs doing so by the time you've finished ........ all because the sink broke!

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Willow said:
depends if you're just refitting and tiling or re-designing and adding. I'd be surprised if you can get anyone to do it for that. Don't forget flooring, lighting etc you'll want it all done once you start! then of course it will make everywhere else in the house look as though it needs doing so by the time you've finished ........ all because the sink broke!

That's why I want to keep it under control. :biggrin:

Ours ran to about £3000, we had to have the entire room replastered because the previous owners had covered it in some really atrocious tiles, we had a new suite, cabinets, tiles, floor, shower and pump.
It was well worth it as we love our bathroom.

snorri

Legendary Member
Patrick Stevens said:
However, it seems a bit complicated in that you have to have several different tradespeople eg. plumber, tiler and electrician.
Is there not a multi-skilled joiner in your locality who could do the lot and save you the well nigh impossible task of co-ordinating the efforts of several trades people?
:biggrin:

I'm a tiler and work for £125 a day....but I am cheaper than most;)

Have a look round your local trade centres and screw em down to a price........you should get a half decent suite for £500 including all fixtures.

Once you have that ready, buy the tiles as well and then start ringing round....Tell them its a cash job and you should come in under your budget....Allow for the extras like Willow says though, just in case:laugh:

It helps if you are able to remove the old suite and tiles from the walls too.....If I was nearer I would have done it for you at special CC rates;).

But when you start getting quotes, you can ask me if it sounds reasonable via PM if you want.

regards,Pat

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Patrick Stevens said:
A fairly plain bathroom suite seems to be about £650 and there's five square metres of tiling.

to you. £270 if you're a plumber.

My advice.

Make sure you know what you're getting. There are bathroom suites that would make my Gran curl up and die, and she had her hair in rollers every Monday, all Monday. And tiles. Go plain white without patterns or take a big chance on the tiler choosing something abso-bloody-lutely horrendous - there's a lot of stuff swilling around that my Gran (well, you know the rest).

And make sure that the basin and wc are set out to a tile interval, and that the tiles are set out to the basin and the wc. Or I will come round to your place and condemn the lot.

And watch out for bath panels. Some of them really should be reported to the United Nations.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We've recently had:
Main Bathroom; new suite, taps et all, P-shaped Caronite bath, Aqualisa Power shower.
En-suite; Toilet, Basin, Quadrant shower and screen, Aqualisa power shower.
Cloakroom; Toilet Basin.

All fully tiled with really nice kit, Lecico Porcelainware, decent taps and Ladder-rung towel radiators.

For everything except painting and decorating, Labour £3200 (very good pals) with the kit around 5 to 6. Considering the first quotes from the local bathroom company for a basic job was 18k.

Monst

Do it yourself, as far as you can. Also look in screwfix for bathroom suites, tile sales for tiles etc.

I did my bathroom for less than a grand - and its all tiled inc the floor. I did my own plumbing - it's not rocket science just logical and with push fit fittings it's easy. I had a tiler, but as he was bro in law, prices were cheap! Employer a tiler on a job price not a price per day. I did the grouting, sealing, painting and fixing.

Don't go mad on posh accessories, many places do exactly the same products for far less. EG shower screen. B&Q £150. Near as damit looky likey Argos £25.

JamesAC

Monst said:
Do it yourself, as far as you can. Also look in screwfix for bathroom suites, tile sales for tiles etc.

I did my bathroom for less than a grand - and its all tiled inc the floor. I did my own plumbing - it's not rocket science just logical and with push fit fittings it's easy. I had a tiler, but as he was bro in law, prices were cheap! Employer a tiler on a job price not a price per day. I did the grouting, sealing, painting and fixing.

Don't go mad on posh accessories, many places do exactly the same products for far less. EG shower screen. B&Q £150. Near as damit looky likey Argos £25.
+1

Unless you're really really busy in your Day Job, then a couple of week-ends will get it sorted. You can do most of the straightforward stuff (don't forget to turn off the water first!!) but you must get a qualified electrician to do any electrics associated with power showers etc.

snakehips

For labour try your local fire station , that's where our guy came from. From what I hear most firemen have a sideline to occupy their time between shifts. It does mean however that your job gets done at odd times.
Just ring the fire station and when they ask what service do you require , tell them 'plumbing and electrical'

snakehips.jpg

Snakehips Bikes

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
buggi said:
£650! you can a nice one at B&Q from £250 :biggrin:

I was at B&Q today. They said that bathrooms started at £199, but the cheapest was about £600 and most of them were about £1,200. They were all white and I couldn't discern any difference between them.

Top Bottom