Votes: 1 1.4%
  • £50.00

• £60.00

• Or more.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What do you pay a year?
Do you think it is expensive
Not interested if you do not ride with a club.
I do ride with a club, but cannot justify paying £60.00 a year,
I think our club is £4/year. It's outrageous I know. Anyone paying more than a tenner is a knobber.

The £4 pays for the website and CTC affiliation/Leaders insurance.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think our club is £3/year. It's outrageous I know. Anyone paying more than a tenner is a knobber.

The £3 pays for the website and CTC affiliation/Leaders insurance.

No membership charge for my Sunday morning group.

By the way, what's leader's insurance?

Fab Foodie

No membership charge for my Sunday morning group.

By the way, what's leader's insurance?
With the CTC the ride leaders are insured as long as they take a ride register with contact details .... which we do. It's a legal minefield if you are the 'leader' of a casual group, you could be sued for negligence for exaple.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
With the CTC the ride leaders are insured as long as they take a ride register with contact details .... which we do. It's a legal minefield if you are the 'leader' of a casual group, you could be sued for negligence for exaple.

I did ask our leader about insurance when I joined.

Can't recall the exact answer, possibly because it wasn't very clear.

'Casual group' is a good description of my lot, and I'm sure you are right about leader's insurance being a legal minefield in that situation.

I suspect our leader believes a bunch of middle aged men and women would 'play the game' and not seek to unfairly blame him for any mishap.

Seems to me that's not such a big risk as some might think.

He nominally leads a ride every fortnight, on the alternate Sundays we take a group decision on the route and destination.

For those rides there is no real leader, it's just a group of cyclists heading for the same cafe stop.

Even on the led rides, route change decisions can be taken on the hoof, or rather pedal.

Hard to see how any significant liability could fairly be ascribed to the leader in those circumstances.

Firestorm

Veteran
Is there a difference between those with clubhouse facilities and those which dont ?
this all seems very cheap to me, When I was in the local Athletic club, it was something like 50 quid a year, and thar was 20 years ago, mind you there were overheads such as track rental, league affiliation, clubhouse maintenance etc.

Out of interest , what do those clubs with the low fees offer as a club ?

Firestorm

Veteran
Ours are £12.
Have a good look at our club site and it may give you some idea.

http://www.lincolnwheelers.co.uk/

I always have and always will ask not what my club can do for me but what I can do for my club.
Thanks
I did think that the comparisons to Athletics was not quite even...
There used to be a AAA levy on all race entries for non affilated athletes , plus access to county, regional and national championships.
Coach travel to league meetings was subsidised and twice / three times a week club training sessions were included as well.
The local running clubs were considerably cheaper, I suppose its all down to the overheads really.
Having only been involved in Football (70 quid a year and 5 pound a match) and Athletics at club level, I found the fees quoted in this thread really low.

Do many cycling clubs encourage members into coaching or officiating by subsidising the courses ?

My local club is 23 quid for seniors, plus compulsory marshalling at 3 events a year

£20 for 18 to 59 years old, £10 for 60+, free for under 18's, includes free entry to club TT's, reliability rides and coaching. It's just gone up from £15 because we've spent a fair bit on putting people through BC coaching courses.

Fab Foodie

We offer for our £4, A website, CTC affiliation, led rides 3 nights a week and Sundays, low priced (thanks to local sponsors) club kit, discount in the local independent coffee house and bike shops. The clubhouse is the KH&B pub who look after us very well indeed and we reciprocate by the purchasing of large quantities of ale .... it's a symbiosis type thing.
The annual cycle festival provides led rides and other events for around 600 people and local grants and sponsorship enable this.

Fab Foodie

I did ask our leader about insurance when I joined.

Can't recall the exact answer, possibly because it wasn't very clear.

'Casual group' is a good description of my lot, and I'm sure you are right about leader's insurance being a legal minefield in that situation.

I suspect our leader believes a bunch of middle aged men and women would 'play the game' and not seek to unfairly blame him for any mishap.

Seems to me that's not such a big risk as some might think.

He nominally leads a ride every fortnight, on the alternate Sundays we take a group decision on the route and destination.

For those rides there is no real leader, it's just a group of cyclists heading for the same cafe stop.

Even on the led rides, route change decisions can be taken on the hoof, or rather pedal.

Hard to see how any significant liability could fairly be ascribed to the leader in those circumstances.

I started a similar 'mates rides group' before Freewheeling which operated as you describe, 6 mates random rides on a Sunday evening. I think the subtle difference is when there becomes visible signs of organisation, such as a facebook page to keep in contact etc My understanding is that it's a fine and poorly distinguished line.
I wouldn't like to comment on liability as I'm no expert but I can imagine circumstances where an incident is caused by another leading to cause for a claim even among 'friends'.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
£2 for The Fridays. Quite spectacular value.

BTW, if anybody wants to know what the insurance deal is for ride organisers, you will find that @dellzeqq, ex-Glorious Leader of The Friday Night Ride to the Coast,
posted quite a lot on CC about it.

Ian193

Über Member
Thanks
I did think that the comparisons to Athletics was not quite even...
There used to be a AAA levy on all race entries for non affilated athletes , plus access to county, regional and national championships.
Coach travel to league meetings was subsidised and twice / three times a week club training sessions were included as well.
The local running clubs were considerably cheaper, I suppose its all down to the overheads really.
Having only been involved in Football (70 quid a year and 5 pound a match) and Athletics at club level, I found the fees quoted in this thread really low.

Do many cycling clubs encourage members into coaching or officiating by subsidising the courses ?

My local club is 23 quid for seniors, plus compulsory marshalling at 3 events a year

I think we might be in the same club it's £30 for couples full membership

Top Bottom