Cost of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I just heard earlier that petrol will go up to 2 pounds a litre on Monday. I hope this is just a rumour but who knows?
If it is true, the chancellor will make billions extra on fuel duty and should reduce the tax on it then.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I just heard earlier that petrol will go up to 2 pounds a litre on Monday. I hope this is just a rumour but who knows?
If it is true, the chancellor will make billions extra on fuel duty and should reduce the tax on it then.
Duty's a flat rate per litre isn't it? And VAT is VAT. Anyway, quite apart from the issue of climate change, there's a war on. Things are going to get expensive.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Wouldn't be great, whilst I'm not rich by any means, I could afford it. It's just the people on minimum wage etc in this country I feel sorry for. They were already under the cosh as it was, without much help from the Tories, that's to be expected though..

vickster

Legendary Member
If true, isn't it down to the very high cost of oil due to the above mentioned invasion of Ukraine? Blame a certain Russian rather than the Govt maybe
If worried, fill up asap ;) or take the bike :whistle:

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
In an ideal world the money made would go to massively improving public transport but that is unlikely sadly.
Agree generally but if the price goes up and people buy less, doesn't the revenue from duty go down? And at what point does that get offset by the increased take from VAT?

There's a ton of reasons of course to reduce our dependence on oil. And this crisis may require government intervention of some kind. Will it lead to a reduction in oil use?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
@gavroche It is a rumour nothing more

Cost of driving is so low compared to public transport.

I don't think we should go easy on drivers when OAPs will be struggling to keep their living rooms warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom