Cost of hi vis jackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
How can dark blue be hi-viz?
I have a black hi-viz vest. On a night time/during darkness the colour is pretty much irrelevant, it's all about the reflectiveness :okay: & some of the cheaper hi-viz stuff from markets isnt always as reflective as it should be, so buyer beware. I would expect stuff from the likes of Arco/screwfix etc to meet the relevant BS standards

Drago

Legendary Member
The whole point of hi vis is that works during the daytime too.

As I said. £3 from Screwfix. You can put it over a waterproof jacket or a top if it's warmer.

Screenshot_20201102-205235.jpg

OP
OP
E
I don't have a problem with my Muddy Fox being sweaty - seems fine
Mind you I generally have it unzipped to some extent unless it is raining

And believe me I can sweat for England given half a chance!!!

If you wash waterproofs in normal washing powder, the detergent will destroy the water beading DRW layer and any breathable membrane will soak out. You should wash in soap to avoid stripping the essential DRW treatment. I use liquid soap, a cheaper version of tech wash.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Thats quite a handy tip. My supply of Halo wash is starting to run very low and the price seems to have crept up since my last purchase a while back.

Ive also got some Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Sanitiser which ive had sitting here for a while as havent yet found a cheaper alternative to Halo but Wilko will do.
It's my understanding that the wilko stuff comes from these purveyors of various substances and old fashioned cleaning tips:

https://www.dri-pak.co.uk/

Expensive doesn't always equal better. I bought a nice Rapha winter jacket a few years back. First ride out I got to the cafe and the jacket was soaked from damp air and sweat. Took ages to dry out. Sold it on eBay.

Choose wisely - don't just assume more expensive is better.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
All non-breatheable outerwear materials are boil-in-the-bag if you are working too hard. Just slow down and take it easy, then you don't overheat and aren't going to be soaked in sweat. It ain't rocket science. When I go out in the proper cold or wet on a bike I'm usually wearing a roadworkers traffic jacket with reflective stripes all over it. You can pick them up for £20 or less in both padded and unlined versions. I've got one for messing around in that I've had for five or six years. It gets washed when it starts to look really grubby, maybe three times a year. I don't take any notice of the limit to the number of times you are supposed to wash them, although it's usually x25. I'll just keep using it on the road until the reflectives aren't too effective any more, then it will get relegated for winter bramble clearance, car tinkering jobs etc.

mikeIow

Guru
i've got a proviz reversable gilet that's hi-viz one side and 360 reflective the other. not cheap, and arrived just as i stopped commuting due to covid🙄
I got one of these for my birthday: as you say, not cheap, but *great* quality and visibility, night and day!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Thats quite a handy tip. My supply of Halo wash is starting to run very low and the price seems to have crept up since my last purchase a while back.

Ive also got some Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Sanitiser which ive had sitting here for a while as havent yet found a cheaper alternative to Halo but Wilko will do.
Check Sainsbury's - £4 per litre bottle and can be found in the larger supermarkets: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/liquids---gels/halo-sports-laundry-liquid-1l-25-washes-

Top Bottom