Cost of hi vis jackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weareHKR

i've got a proviz reversable gilet that's hi-viz one side and 360 reflective the other. not cheap, and arrived just as i stopped commuting due to covid🙄
I got one of these for my birthday: as you say, not cheap, but *great* quality and visibility, night and day!
I have the jacket but they don't stand out in the daylight, dull during the day, brilliant in darkness, I wear a Hi-Vis Pinnacle jacket for daytime.
Both are - boil in the bag even though they are Breathable! 🥵

sheddy

Legendary Member
Viz tip: No need to purchase waistcoat. Simply retrieve from the hedge or ditch as you cycle along.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hand wash stuff like this in luke warm water, avoiding rubbing and and kneading, and drip then air dry. Reflectives/hi-viz (particularly the former) will deteriorate quickly with machine washing (even on cool) and so will waterproof material. Most garments have a stated maximum life of 25 washes (and EN ISO 20471 (for example) requires their labels to cover this aspect).
I sometimes wonder whether manufacturers say things can be machine washed at 30 degrees and accept that there will be deterioration (because after a few washes it won't be their problem). If they said 'hand wash only' they'd lose sales.
HALO washing liquid and the like is excellent for sweaty smelly cycling/running clothing but a red herring as far as washing hi-viz is concerned (imo).

Last edited:

mikeIow

Guru
I have the jacket but they don't stand out in the daylight, dull during the day, brilliant in darkness, I wear a Hi-Vis Pinnacle jacket for daytime.
Both are - boil in the bag even though they are Breathable! 🥵

I can imagine: only worn my gilet for a few 10-35milers, but it certainly keeps the core warm!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Viz tip: No need to purchase waistcoat. Simply retrieve from the hedge or ditch as you cycle along.

I've picked up two abandoned hi-vis jerkins off the street in a year, and rejected a couple more that were nowhere near the right size. Simply chucked them in the machine with my work clothes at the end of the week and they come up as good as new!
OT, but I got one of those "everlasting" orange Sainsbury's shopping bags found hanging on a bush last week on a ride. Put that in the wash and came out as new too!
It really mystifies me how people manage to lose useful stuff like this or why they would deliberately throw it out in the street if they no longer want it.

Top Bottom