cost of private health care

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
If she’s well (Hope and trust she is 😎) and you know the wait time of some procedures on the NHS - it’s still possibly ‘good value’. Without Health we have nothing…..

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If she’s well (Hope and trust she is 😎) and you know the wait time of some procedures on the NHS - it’s still possibly ‘good value’. Without Health we have nothing…..

nhs target is 18 weeks , only 62 % make that from what i have read . initial refferal was end Nov and sugery was in feb ,i think it would have been quicker too if it hadnt have been over the x mas period,

EDIT mrs ck mum had the same op and was in a lot of discomfort nhs , mrs ck ways she doesnt even feel any pain after a week

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
nhs target is 18 weeks , only 62 % make that from what i have read . initial refferal was end Nov and sugery was in feb ,i think it would have been quicker too if it hadnt have been over the x mas period,

Ive got a broken bone in my elbow and been told 5 months to be seen. No chance of being sorted this year. This was before Xmas……

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Ive got a broken bone in my elbow and been told 5 months to be seen. No chance of being sorted this year. This was before Xmas……

similar story when i had my collar bone twatted , nhs kept telling me to come back in a few weeks but i had 2 full breaks they were ignoring on the x ray .My referral to operation time were similar to mrs ck as it was again end of nov when the consulatant saw me .

presta

Guru
I need an ablation, I gather they're about £25,000. I don't know whether that's a fixed price though, or whether you get a bill for half a million if you wake up to find you've been in intensive care for a month because something went wrong.

Slick

Guru
I've been contemplating private insurance for some time now, but can't quite bring myself to turn my back entirely on the NHS.

Mrs Slick had some issues last year, and fair play to the NHS, they swung into action and she was operated on very quickly and made a slow, but full recovery.

I think I probably will end up with private insurance, but it is not a decision I can make lightly.

Slick

Guru
Ahem ... the premium is related to age, it would cost you a fortune.

Sake Pat, I've got feelings you know. :laugh:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I've been contemplating private insurance for some time now, but can't quite bring myself to turn my back entirely on the NHS.

Mrs Slick had some issues last year, and fair play to the NHS, they swung into action and she was operated on very quickly and made a slow, but full recovery.

I think I probably will end up with private insurance, but it is not a decision I can make lightly.

No brainer for me as I get family cover for under £25 a month through direct salary sacrifice classed as a benefit in kind.new employees have to pay full whack as I got in just before they changed the conditions

Slick

Guru
No brainer for me as I get family cover for under £25 a month through direct salary sacrifice classed as a benefit in kind.new employees have to pay full whack as I got in just before they changed the conditions

I looked into my work offering, but missed the deadline in the end.

I wouldn't imagine it will be as good as yours sound, but it just the 2 of us so I'm sure we'll get by.

vickster

Legendary Member
I looked into my work offering, but missed the deadline in the end.

I wouldn't imagine it will be as good as yours sound, but it just the 2 of us so I'm sure we'll get by.

Be aware most policies won’t cover pre existing conditions.

My personal cover while self employed had got very expensive after 6 years of claims, So luckily I now get through work (on FTC). I just pay the tax on whatever the company pays for the policy. I continue to make good use of it :rolleyes:

Slick

Guru
Be aware most policies won’t cover pre existing conditions.

My personal cover while self employed had got very expensive after 6 years of claims, So luckily I now get through work (on FTC). I just pay the tax on whatever the company pays for the policy. I continue to make good use of it :rolleyes:

Yeah I am aware of the preconditions thing, which is pretty straightforward for me but gets complicated for Mrs Slick. I've never been a fan of insurance, but its one of the things that put me off when I got vitality to quote for us, but I just didn't trust them. I do have an option for a company policy but it doesn't look great compared with the benefits of getting your own.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I am aware of the preconditions thing, which is pretty straightforward for me but gets complicated for Mrs Slick. I've never been a fan of insurance, but its one of the things that put me off when I got vitality to quote for us, but I just didn't trust them. I do have an option for a company policy but it doesn't look great compared with the benefits of getting your own.

Read the Ts & Cs carefully. Most policies won’t cover chronic conditions either or have limits. A cash plan is an alternative that you can use towards consultations, physio etc as needed.
Depends really what you are hoping to cover and when

midlife

Guru

EDIT mrs ck mum had the same op and was in a lot of discomfort nhs , mrs ck ways she doesnt even feel any pain after a week

Would have been an NHS consultant that did the private op too....

Top Bottom