Cost of rear mech check and adjustment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
For most people there's no point in spending any of that money until they've changed the outer cable where it curves round to the rear derailleur. They'll be amazed at the amount of rust and crud that has accumulated at the cable ends and staggered at the drop in performance that they've grown to accept over the months that they've been failing to carry out this simple but important maintenance task.

LIkewise all those riding around with rear mech out of alignment.

bpsmith

Veteran
Personally, I reckon a dérailleur hanger tool should be on Every serious cyclists list of tools.

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Well, I had the bike looked at by Langdale Lightweights on Monday and today was the first chance I had to get the bike out and see what it was like. The gears are now changing far better than they ever have and I am pleased I took it in. I doubt that, even with practice, that I could have done such a good job and feel it was worth the money.

Bodhbh

Guru
Personally, I reckon a dérailleur hanger tool should be on Every serious cyclists list of tools.

Not sure who on here suggested it when I asked something similar to the OP a while back...but a 10mm rear axle will thread into the derailleur hanger and allows the trueness of the rear hanger to be gauged by eye and bent back if needed. Maybe not as good as the proper tool, but worth a punt for ~ 2 quid and it cleaned up my shifting.

bpsmith

Veteran
Not sure who on here suggested it when I asked something similar to the OP a while back...but a 10mm rear axle will thread into the derailleur hanger and allows the trueness of the rear hanger to be gauged by eye and bent back if needed. Maybe not as good as the proper tool, but worth a punt for ~ 2 quid and it cleaned up my shifting.
Of course there are many ways in which you could appear to realign a hanger, but nothing does it like the correct tool. Personally, I do like a good tool, so don't mind buying one that will last. :smile:

I wouldn't condemn anyone for using such an adhoc tool mind you, if it achieves what you want. Getting a hanger roughly aligned might be fine, but if you want aligned correctly both horizontally and vertically then only the right tool will cut it. Don't forget that you're aligning the hanger with the wheel, and ultimately the cassette. Doing this by eye can prove difficult if you are as anal as I am!

Top Bottom