Couch to 5K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got into Parkrun at the start of the year. They are a great way to get into running. The Bolton one usually has around 150 runners which is a good amount, 300 on our course would be a nightmare TBH.

I've got out the habit these past few weeks and hadn't run since the Bolton 10km back in April, but I decided mid week I was going today, but then I went out on Wednesday and did 10km from cold! *fool* My legs are just starting to feel my own again today, ergo I didn't do Parkrun today :sad:

I'll be back next Saturday. My PB so far is 28:20. I won't be near that for a while but I definitely need to get back into it.

FWIW I'd strongly recommend gait analysis to anyone starting running. I always fancied the 5 fingers, but I'm glad I didn't get any as I now know they'd have been completely wrong for my feet.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
After a break of 5 years I've just started a very similar programme to the C25k. It never ceases to amaze me just how little bike fitness translates to running fitness - but it's also amazing how quickly your fitness improves. My knees are a bit painful so I might knock running on the head until I'm cycling less over winter, having spent 18 months sorting out a knee problem it would be a bit daft to overdo it.

That said, I've got an appointment next week to have my old orthotics reviewed, so that might improve things.

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Just been emailed my official time - 30:48 :ohmy:. I'm now even more pleased with my first ever full 5K as going sub-30 was a vague target for sometime during this year. Running with others is definitely a big boost to me.

As for the fivefingers - they work for me.
As per my OP I've had a pair of the Classics for over a year and used them as flip-flops and am barefoot whenever possible. I've also had a pair of vivobarefoot aquas that I've lived in for around 3 years now. So, for me, the transition from a normal running shoe wasn't an issue as I started the c25K minimalist anyway.

BTW - I'm 100kg, so no lightweight, the running has helped me lose around 4 kg over the course together with dieting. I don't find I'm 'pounding' the pavement at all. Indeed as there is no cushoning on the shoes pounding a heel into the ground hurts so I find I'm probably taking more but shorter steps and landing lightly on the forefoot. This video explains it better than I can.

Can't see any of it matters really. Run in whatever way works for you and keeps you injury free and enjoying it.

Nihal - one of the reasons for taking up running was time contraints. I could go trough the c25k podcast and be pretty much showered and changed inside an hour. I'd want a good couple of hours out on the bike. Plus working away a fair bit means I don't have a bike available all the time - a top, shorts and shoes are easy to take with me.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I come from a running background (18min 5k, 36min 10k, sub 4 marathon ) and believe that the barefoot and minimalist footwear trend is a fad. One of the most accomplished barefoot runners of our time Zola Budd, a person who grew up running barefoot, trained barefoot and raced barefoot still runs.. and guess what she now wears running shoes, the reason she has stated this is to minimize injury.
The biometric and podiatry profession are also seeing an increase in stress fractures in line with the increase in popularity of minimalist shoes, which I find interesting and often overlooked by the supporters or minimalist shoes.
http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=48566
Its starting to be discussed on other blogs and sites as well.
http://joemaller.com/2861/barefoot-running-stress-fractures-a-theory/

Vibram now have a number of class action law suits against them for injurys cased by these types of shoes. It will be interesting to see how this ends up.
People forget that the five finger shoes were never ever designed for running in, it was designed as a boat shoe, they were designed to grip the surface of a slippery deck. It was only when the Vibram CEO Ted McDonald also known as barefoot ted started promoting them for running and made a nice living from doing such that they were even considered by the majority of runners.

There is so much misinformation about minimalist footwear, there has never ever been any proof that they reduce injury or are better for you, in fact the widely quoted work of Dr Daniel E. Lieberman has now resulted in him updating the website to clarify that the research states that he does not conclude that running shoes cause injury and there is the possibility that going with minimalist shoes or barefoot may.

Don't get caught up in the myths, or the hype, look for the science
http://www.runningbarefootisbad.com

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Don't get caught up in the myths, or the hype, look for the science
http://www.runningbarefootisbad.com

Wow! Top ranting, think the site owner may have some issues.There is even a 'rants' catagory :smile:.
I'll take note of a reasoned argument but having just spent the last 15 minutes following circular links to other parts of the site without seeing any I closed the tab, having given up looking for the science.

How Zola Budd or Barefoot Ted run hardly counts as comprehensive research either . Or Eddy Izzard runnning (mostly) barefoot in S. Africa for that matter. I don't actually believe any study will ever be conclusive either way - statistics and studies can always be skewed by varying the methodology to reflect the interests of those conducting it.

Fivefingers are working for ME. Whatever you wear works for you (very impressively too). Perhaps it's because my abilities and limits are much less than yours.

Garz

Squat Member
FWIW I'd strongly recommend gait analysis to anyone starting running. I always fancied the 5 fingers, but I'm glad I didn't get any as I now know they'd have been completely wrong for my feet.

Smokey is there a recommended place in or around Bolton as although I cycle when I can, I like to run every now and again to mix it up. As I am a heavier build, my Asics seem to work however I have never had any running analysis?

Smokey is there a recommended place in or around Bolton as although I cycle when I can, I like to run every now and again to mix it up. As I am a heavier build, my Asics seem to work however I have never had any running analysis?
I went to FOOT TRAFFIC on the A666 Blackburn Road close to Asda at Astley Bridge. He gives you a pair of neutral trainers and puts you an a treadmill with a video camera at foot height. Films you for a couple of minutes then plays it back. I was over pronating on both feet, but far more on my left foot. He brought out various 'suitable' trainers to try.

Some weren't a great fit, (I'm a large UK12 so this was no surprise), but any that did fit immediately cancelled out the over pronation. It was quite fascinating to actually watch it back.

I decided to push the boat and got a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 8, but I told Mrs S they were 'only' £50 :whistle:

It's the first time I have ever bought a pair of trainers for what they do rather than what they look like. Another reason for choosing the Mizuno was that I wanted shoes I wouldn't be tempted to wear casually, in other words I wanted them just for the purpose of running, and these ticked all those boxes.

Nosaj

Couch to 5k is really good.

A lot better than not running properly since school since for quite a few years then going out and running 5k in 23 minutes about 20 years later....Ouch

Cycling will give you the lungs for the run but certainly does not give you the muscular/tendon/ligament hardware to just go out and run. You do need a certain time for your body to adapt.

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
I've always found cycling much easier than running. I think its (for me) because I can slow down on the bike (smaller gears, reduced cadence) to make it easier if I start to run out of puff. Slowing down when running means..err..walking - theres a speed below which it isn't running anymore, cycling is always cycling even if I'm only achieving walking pace and being overtaken by elderly ladies on a Pashley.

Having been brave and risked taking the road bike out this morning (stayed dry - yay!) I'd go along with Glover Fan's post in that it now feels like I can push myself on the bike a bit harder for longer. From what I saw of John Bishops efforts for his charity cycle/row/run his trainer had him doing a lot of running in preparation for it to build stammina and endurance.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I've always found cycling much easier than running. I think its (for me) because I can slow down on the bike (smaller gears, reduced cadence) to make it easier if I start to run out of puff. Slowing down when running means..err..walking - theres a speed below which it isn't running anymore, cycling is always cycling even if I'm only achieving walking pace and being overtaken by elderly ladies on a Pashley.
I went from running to cycling and totally agree about it being easier that way round because cycling lets you go as slow as you like.

The biggest difference for me is when im running im on the limit of my cardio for most of my run and going past it for the finish really pushing myself even in training, but i struggle to push myself to do the same with cycling even though its possible. Hills force me to work hard, but theres usually a flat or downhill sooner or later to recover a bit. Also here at least its pretty easy to make a 5-10k running route that doesnt cross a road or have any reason to stop, but the cycle paths have too many intersections and road crossings. Strava has helped motivate me to go for some sprint sections though and push hard up hills. It might even be a weight thing as me+hybrid=140kg, uphills are very hard work, flats are nice and downhill i can overtake without pedalling so it becomes more like intervals, hopefully will be a lot better minus 30kg. :smile:

Edit: Also dont 100% trust the gait analysis guys, theres plenty of people who get the wrong analysis especially when youre asked to run in the confines of a shop and gait can change as you get used to running. Id watched the people i run with and it gets quite easy to see pronation and im quite sure that my friend was sold the wrong shoes.

Top Bottom