Couch to 5K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone tried the cto5k program or podcasts?
Just completed week 1, and, ooooh........ my calves!
Firstly, I'm not a runner. Never have been. Bike - never struggled with distances of 30-40 miles, even after breaks of a couple of months due to work, and always thought I could do another 20 more than that reasonably easily.

So how hard can a few minutes running be? (though the swim as well this morning was maybe pushing things a bit) I'm also starting off barefoot too as I spend as much time as possible that way anyway, and bought a pair of vibram fivefingers classics that I wore a lot last year in the warmer weather.

Target is to get to the 5k before my birthday. Timing should just work out right.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I did this in 2005 I found it on what was then the cool running forum. I started in the January from zero fitness at 47 and by June I completed a 10K in 54 mins. I then ran a hilly half marathon and then many more hilly trail races after that. IMHO is the best program ever to get people running from scratch.

When was reading the barefoot bit I was thinking of the vibrams, I've thought about using them but never have, what are they like to run in?

C25K is a cracking way to get into running. A word of caution, I know you've just spent a load of cash on 5 fingers, BUT, as you're just starting out I'd strongly advise you to get gait analysis done. Most 'proper' running shops should offer it as part of their service, and it shouldn't actually cost anything, (my local running shop doesn't charge anyway).

I've only recently done it after years of on/off running, and I very much wish I'd done it sooner. The wrong shoes could have huge implications as you start to increase your mileage. If the Vibram's are right for your gait then happy days, if not then swallow your pride, get your hand in your pocket, and make sure you get what the gait analysis recommends.

Also, try and find a Parkrun near you, (although I can't imagine there are many in the North Sea!). These are organised weekly timed runs, and best of all they're FREE!
Have a look at http://www.parkrun.com/home. We get all sorts of people at ours from club runners to speed walkers to 82 year Malcolm who's never missed a run in over a year!

Join in if you can and good luck with your progress :thumbsup:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Started it around Christmas but developed some lower back pain and had to put it on hold until last week. The back pain turned out to be caused by something else but I didn't want to aggravate it by running jogging. Currently about to do Week 3 day 2 and have found it pretty easy, so far. I had a reasonable level of cardio fitness before I started, however. I am also a bit lighter than I was at Christmas and this obviously helps massively, in regard to such things.

I am doing it on a treadmill, so that may help to explain the relative ease of it (so far). I use one of the iPhone apps for it, to keep me on track.

I have only ever heard good things about the program!

Good luck

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
C25K is a cracking way to get into running. A word of caution, I know you've just spent a load of cash on 5 fingers, BUT, as you're just starting out I'd strongly advise you to get gait analysis done. Most 'proper' running shops should offer it as part of their service, and it shouldn't actually cost anything, (my local running shop doesn't charge anyway).

I've only recently done it after years of on/off running, and I very much wish I'd done it sooner. The wrong shoes could have huge implications as you start to increase your mileage. If the Vibram's are right for your gait then happy days, if not then swallow your pride, get your hand in your pocket, and make sure you get what the gait analysis recommends.

Also, try and find a Parkrun near you, (although I can't imagine there are many in the North Sea!). These are organised weekly timed runs, and best of all they're FREE!
Have a look at http://www.parkrun.com/home. We get all sorts of people at ours from club runners to speed walkers to 82 year Malcolm who's never missed a run in over a year!

Join in if you can and good luck with your progress :thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouragement :smile:
Theres a parkrun in the park I've been running in, but I never knew about it until Saturday when I was there for my own more modest run. I asked one of the stewards (thinking it was a Sport Relief related thing) and he told me about it. Joining one something else to give me a goal to aim at.
A trip to the running store in centre of town looks like a good idea. I wore the vibrams most of last summer more as a pair of flip-flops than anything else as I don't get on with flip=flops much. They were never bought for running in, but as I had them anyway.....

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Started it around Christmas but developed some lower back pain and had to put it on hold until last week. The back pain turned out to be caused by something else but I didn't want to aggravate it by running jogging. Currently about to do Week 3 day 2 and have found it pretty easy, so far. I had a reasonable level of cardio fitness before I started, however. I am also a bit lighter than I was at Christmas and this obviously helps massively, in regard to such things.

I am doing it on a treadmill, so that may help to explain the relative ease of it (so far). I use one of the iPhone apps for it, to keep me on track.

I have only ever heard good things about the program!

Good luck

ST you have much more than a reasonable level of cardio fitness from what I could see on Pete's New Forest ride last year. When I did the C25K i did it outside after having done the tradmill before I started it, there is just no comparison imo, honest, go on get out there and good luck with it.

VamP

Banned
Be careful witht the bare-foot running, it requires a different running technique and a slow gradual build-up. There is a lot of information about barefoot running on the web and I would urge you to spend some time studying it.

My girlfriend is an accomplished runner (10k PB under 40 minutes) and she spent several months converting to barefoot, and even now does a portion of her training in regular running shoes. She likes her fivefingers, but then she's a bit of a hippy at heart :wub:

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
I've never been a runner, so not so much of a problem transitioning from regular shoes to barefoot, the cto5k is nice and slow too. I read a fair bit about it before even buying th fivefingers - even though I never had any intention of running at the time, after all I had a bike, why would I want to run? Times change though.
I've been wearing a pair of vivobarefoot shoes a fair bit too. Stupidly comfy, mostly I think due to the width. Think its being barefoot normally as much as possible has has allowed my feet to spread (think I'm a bit of a hippie too) so normal shoes just seem to pinch now. I've just bought some Northwave shoes for the bike (see post in cafe) in an attempt have something a bit more comfy on the bike.

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Did my first parkrun (Hull) this morning so I'm officially calling myself a runner :smile:
Hadn't quite finished the couch to 5k, had done the distance but some of it was part of the warm-up/cool-down brisk walk. but as I was due to start week 8 today (28 minute block of running) thought I'd give it a try and could always finish off walking the last bit if I needed to.
In the end I ran the whole course in 33 minutes, found it was MUCH easier running with other people than alone, with my pacemaking done by a lovely 60+ year old lady who complained afterwards she was a bit slower than usual due to having done the 10k Jane Tomlinson run last weekend. I am awestruck.

Lots of friendly people (regular attendance is around 300 - one of the best attended in the country). Certainly won't be the last one I go to.
Still running 'minimalist' rather than completely barefoot - now with a pair of komodosports

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Careful, it can become quite addictive, don't forget you have a bike.

More than one.....:blush:. Only seems to be the shopping (xtracycle'd) bike thats getting much use at the moment. The road bike waits patiently for it to be dry as it doesn't go out when it's wet - it's carbon you see so will melt in the rain.

Nihal

Veteran
I recently asked about running on another thread.But i've put that on hold due to a little time constraint.Also i want to cut some weight off my middle before i start cause some websites say running with weingt around the middle is not very comfortable.I plan to start next month meanwhile i have made good progress in:bicycle:so i'm good for now:smile:Also i realised i could actually run at a moderate speed for about 15min as i went with a friend,But it was'nt good:headshake:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I started the Bupa version of Cto5k at over 20 stone and went on to run a half marathon, didnt have any problems but i think its really important to listen to your body. I still try to run ~6k twice a week if the weathers alright, I run more in winter and cycle more in summer though.

Ive wanted to try Vibrams, but my uber cushioned asics have done me well and ive never had any pain or strain in my joints. Im still a big heavy oaf and high arched with very little pronation in my gait so a recipe for problems with big impacts.

Top Bottom