Could I get my money back or an exchange on a new bike here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
What are my exact consumer rights here?

About eight weeks ago, I bought a Giant Defy disc brake bike from a big bike shop. Initially, I assumed it would be great and was very enthusiastic about it but things have changed quite a lot since then.

I've had it in the shop (54 miles from home incidentally) three times since purchase. Firstly, the head thing was leaking brake fluid so that needed rectifying. Then I took it in last week due to a combination of it not shifting from the big to the little ring and an 8-week tinkle. I assumed it would be done the same day but no, it was a day later, necessitating yet another 108 mile round trip to collect it.

But now all would be well, wouldn't it? Well, no actually The very day after the mechanics had re-set it, I took it on a hilly ride in the Yorkshire Dales. It wouldn't shift back from the small ring to the large one whatever I did and I'm no novice at cycling so I know how to rectify this sort of thing but this was to no avail.

This bike has a 13/32 cassette on the back so that was going to help me on the climb over Fleet Moss...except it wouldn't go near anything over 27! At the steepest point, I tried to drop it into the 30 or the 32 but it wouldn't go even with the shifter pushed as far over as it would go.

So I called the shop explaining my predicament to be asked to bring it back in - I took it in yesterday, another 108 miles and was asked to collect it today or tomorrow - another 108 mile round trip!

I was informed 'you sometimes get this with Ultegra' like it's only to be expected! The manager also informs me he'll take it up a hill but he'll have to go a long way to find anything that could test it like Fleet Moss so I can't see any way he'll replicate the necessity for a 34/32 combination under the stresses needed.

I mean, you don't pay £2,000 for this aggravation do you?

tom73

Guru
8 Weeks and 3 shop visits i'd say you have a right to reject it under consumer law. You have given them a chance to fix the faults and still issues.
I'd also be looking to get some of the travel costs back. It's sounds like pretty bad service have they offered you anything as good will ?
Speck to the shop tell them your not happy and you believe the issues are not what you'd expect and it's up to them to show they did not sell you a bike that had faults.
Tell them you've given them plenty of time to sort this and still things are not right and you are now looking for redress under the law.

Have a read of this and maybe contact CAB to see if they agree that it's time to get your money back and walk away.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/a...e-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

Good luck

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry you have had all these problems. I think they have had sufficient opportunity to fix the bike. If you want your money back or a new bike tell them that and see what their reaction is, if they won't give you a new bike say you'll take them to the small claims court. If you just want your money back you might seek advice from the CAB as above.
Good luck.

The excuse about “this sometimes happens with Ultegra” is right, to an extent, but it’s not your issue, it’s their issue to sort out. I have Ultegra 6800 on one of my bikes, and it did what you described, after I changed the cables, in the original Brifters. The problem is the increased shift tolerances of the Ultegra system, and the fact that the cables ( specifically the front mech cable) sometimes don’t sit back in position ( at the cable stop) when you release the tension ( shift to the small ring ). When you try to go back to the big ring, there a little bit of slack in the cable, and you don’t get the tension you need to shift back to the biggest ring. It’s easily sorted by shifting down, releasing the cable clamp bolt on the mech, tugging the cable, then re tightening the bolt, then repeating a few times, until it behaves itself. They should know this though, and it shouldn’t be your problem. The other bits and bobs could just be ‘shakedown’ issues, which should be covered by the ‘shakedown’ nip and tuck service. They don’t sound like the sort of place I’d like to return to personally.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It sounds like a Friday bike. I think that you have given them more than enough opportunity to sort the bike. I would be sending it back and getting a refund. Or a new bike.
Ultegra issues? Really? I have never had an issue with it.

For the record, a colleague had similar issues with a giant CX. He had it exchanged for a new one. Different giant shop but 4 fixes was enough.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Who was the company? I've had similar issues with Wheelbase in the past.

D

Deleted member 26715

How was the bike purchased, cash, debit card, credit card, C2W scheme it may affect the way to approach it.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Right, the shop manager has taken personal control of this now and called me today to say he'd taken the bike out himself and all was well. But I was told this last Wednesday and that wasn't the case at all. I'm in two minds whether to go and collect it and rely on their 'skills' or to ask for my money back or an exchange.

To answer some questions above; I bought it on a debit card (!) and I'm not mentioning the shop until this has been rectified one way or another. It's a shop I CAN go in when business takes me over that way but I'm very unhappy about the number of visits this has taken. It's not like I love round the corner or anything.

tom73

Guru
Well I'd not go out my way to collect it. Have you told them you're not happy and feel you need go down the rejection route as is your right under law?
Don't get too worried about paying via debit card. It's true that unlike card cards they are not covered via section 75 which legally covers you. But visa and others do have a thing called chargeback which covers you though it's totally voluntary thing by card issuers.

The other key difference is you only have 120 days from sale to claim and have to taken it to the max with the seller. As with section 75 claim is via card issuer.

If you really believe they have any skills and may well this time fixed it and really want to take chance then get the bike back. But from what you have put with to date they don't look like they should have anymore of your time or money.
You're already out of pocket re travel which I take it they have to offered to off set?

As other have said contact Giant they won't want to be linked to service like this and may well help add some pressure which may help you get things sorted.

Top Bottom