Could my BB be gone already.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmi

Über Member
I have covered about 1200 miles on my ribble road bike and have used it in all weathers (mainly bad ones!)
I have just started to get a grating noise when peddling hard so stripped down the bike with the intention of re-greasing my BB bearings, I am a bit behind the times so didn't know these hollowtech 2 bearings were maintenance free.
They turn alright but are not 100% smooth, could they be shot already?
I have got a 50+ mile club ride tomorrow so will have to chance it but will buy a replacement ASAP.
When they go is it a gradual thing or do they fail spectacularly?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Are you sure the noise is caused by the BB? Sounds a bit suspect, although not impossible. The chain isn't rubbing against the front mech is it?

OP
OP
simmi

simmi

Über Member
Are you sure the noise is caused by the BB? Sounds a bit suspect, although not impossible. The chain isn't rubbing against the front mech is it?[/quote].
I've tried to rule everything else out, I have re-greased both hubs, cleaned and oiled both mechs tried a different cassette and chain still does it in any gear on either chain ring, even tried swapping the pedals from my sons bike just to rule them out almost sure it's the BB

OP
OP
simmi

simmi

Über Member
what about if you unhook the chain from the chainset altogether and rest it on the BB shell, then spin the cranks?
Have tried it and under no load it feels fine, even riding steady it's OKish it's when I put any power down.
How long should a Hollowtech 2 last?
I would have hoped a couple of years at least!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have HTII setups on a cpl of bikes and both have given faultless service for a few thousand miles, thus far.

Might be worth taking the chainset and BB cups out, cleaning and applying new grease to the chainset spindle and BB shell threads - might not cure it but wort a shot.

OP
OP
simmi

simmi

Über Member
I have HTII setups on a cpl of bikes and both have given faultless service for a few thousand miles, thus far.

Might be worth taking the chainset and BB cups out, cleaning and applying new grease to the chainset spindle and BB shell threads - might not cure it but wort a shot.
Have done, might have been a little better but them again I might be kidding myself!
5000+ over two years on a HTII. Used for winter club runs and summer commutes. No problems.

That's what I thought, which is why it's puzzling me and I've been looking everywhere else, I must admit it is hard to say for 100% sure where the noise in coming from.
Will just have to change it and see if it goes away.
Might even fit my lads wheels to my bike tomorrow and see if that changes anything, his is 8 speed and mine is 9 but I would think it will be OK for a short try as long as I keep near the middle of the cassette.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I refer you to THIS THREAD for my tale of Hollowtech woe. My bike is now approaching 6000 miles and there is no sign of wear in the replacement stock bearings but when I removed the original bearing from the BB shell the thread on one of the cups was badly damaged. I think the thread was crossed or had galled during instalation and maybe this had caused misalignment that led to the premature wear. Fortunately the thread in the frame was undamaged and after a good clean up instaling the new one was straightforward.

I did also have a grinding noise develop on my bike that was most obvious when pedalling hard. This turned out to be a worn middle chainring. It looked absolutely fine to the eye but when I held the bike on the brakes and stood hard on a pedal the chain could be seen lifting off the teeth. It took me ages to track it down as it sounded like a badly adjusted front mech that rubbed and confusingly seemed worse in certain gears? A new chain ring was fitted and the silent drivetrain returned :smile:

I wouldn't worry about you BB failing suddenly. I rode mine for a few of hundred miles after discovering it was getting rough while I decided what I wanted to do about a replacement.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Probably obvious but i was convinced i was having BB issues so stripped the whole bike down greased everything put it all back together spun the peddles and fine :wahhey: rode it up and down the road and still creaking :cursing:. Turns out there was no grease in 1 of the pedal threads :whistle:.

OP
OP
simmi

simmi

Über Member
Thanks guys, didn't think of chainring bolts, will give them a check in a mo before my club ride.
Chainrings themselves should be OK only done 500ish miles

OP
OP
simmi

simmi

Über Member
I thought HLaB had hit on it chainrings were loose, but alas noise was still there.
Anyway made it round my 52 mile club run OK noise is getting worse if anything.
Have ordered a replacement on ebay, Tiagra HT2 same as is on there for £11 delivered.
Hope it does the trick!

Top Bottom