Could my BB be gone already.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simmi

simmi

Über Member
It's not the torque that the bearing cups are installed to that is the problem but the preload torque applied by the star nut in the end of the BB axle.
Cheers, don't think that was too tight, changed the crank to compact and wound it in then backed it off 1/4 turn.(as I was told to do on the font of all knowledge Youtube;))

Star Strider

It's not unlike an Ahead turned on it's side, over preload it and you can eat the bearings.

I would get the BB shell faced properly as well as just like a headset this too can also cause BB death with Hollowtec.

Edit - this is not the first Ribble I have encountered with a dead hollowtec from over tightening of the preload cap.

I've seen a few prematurely knackered bearings from tightening the preload too much.

Take the cranks off and stick your thumb in the driveside hole and turn - you will feel that the bearings don't turn that easily and detect a certain roughness.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I get this sometimes on my HT BB, it tends to go away if I just strip it out degrease the inside of the chainset, clean up re-gease the parts and put back. I should try putting it all back together minus any grease, as I am sure it is grit getting caught up in it.

OP
OP
simmi

simmi

Über Member
Just a brief update, I changed my HT2 BB today and the bike is now in the immortal words of Stephen Fry
"As smooth as a cashmere codpiece"

I guess I must have over tightened it when I changed to a compact crank.
Thanks everyone for the advise.

Top Bottom