Could someone help an idiot out and explain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Are you OK with posting the ebay link, I don't think anyone on here will bid

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
The item is just a cheap second hand electrical item that's surplus to there requirements. As I would be picking it up in person and paying cash (if I win I'm sure it's legit)

midlife

Guru
I'm not sure, it's something about ebay I was reading about cash on collection on lfgss. Something to do about protecting the buyer /seller. Might br optional?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Ask for the registered business name and VAT number, see what happens.

Lozz360

Veteran
I’ve been using EBay since 2007. I’ve never ever known VAT to be added to the value of the winning bid. I have purchased items that are subject to VAT but this is always included in the value you bid.

Does the message specifically say that VAT will be added to the winning bid value? Or are they advising you that your bid, if successful, will include VAT? This would be relevant if you were purchasing the item as a VAT registered business and could therefore, claim the VAT back.

As said before, it would be useful if you could post a link to the item.

Reactions: C R

Lozz360

Veteran
Just found this on the internet https://unicornaccounting.co.uk/blog/do-you-pay-vat-on-ebay-fees/

Basically, they are saying that while the vast majority of Ebay sellers will not be VAT registered, there will be some that are registered. In which case, they must include VAT in their pricing. So, assuming your £20 bid wins and the seller asks you to pay an extra £4.00 for “VAT”, refuse to pay the extra. If the seller then refuses to let you have the goods, you report them to EBay.

Reactions: C R
VAT applies if seller is registered because he exceeds or expected to exceed threshold for UK. In some cases Ebay collects the VAT and Ebay sends it to the authorities. Where VAT applies it must be displayed on the Ad.

Just sent a note to Ebay with the details seeking clarity.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As a private individual I've sold quite a lot on eBay but only bought once, basically I don’t trust it. When I sold items I never encountered VAT or even a question from the eBay system when creating an entry.

You're paying cash on collection. If you win and think the item is worth £20+£4=£24 simply pay it and go. Not worth worrying about.

Last edited:
My company sells on ebay and is vat registered. Vat comes out of the total price with our listing. If its 20 quid the buyer pays that end the eBay generated invoice lists the VAT and pre-VAT price. I would have thought if vat registered the seller would do the same.

Mind you we don't do cash on collection so perhaps different. You need to find out from eBay or if £24 is still a decent price just pay it and be pleased with your item bought at a decent price. End of days if you're happy with your item then that's the end result needed.

PS I don't buy from ebay at don't trust their systems.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like it is eBay collecting the VAT rather than the seller so it may be an error? I should contact eBay to clarify the point, as much out of interest than anything else.

Top Bottom