Could someone help an idiot out and explain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
I'm somewhat of a dinosaur when it comes to the modern day life and (don't laugh)i dipped my toe into using ebay for the first time--- I can hear you sniggering at the back.
Anyway I've put a bid in for £20 against a small second hand electrical item.The listing said I can pay cash on collection ,which is great because I don't have a PayPal account ,and that the item is close by to me.
However when I placed to bid ,a message came up that its subject to 20% vat..
So if I win this item for £20 will I be obligated to pay the seller £24 when I collect it and pay cash.I only ask because I always thought second hand items were not subject to vat.
Please try not to laugh when you're explaining it 😃
All the best ,
Johnny

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
never had that before in my many years of buying stuff off Ebay.

Have you contacted Ebay customer services about it? Or the seller? does the listing mention VAT?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
No I haven't contacted ebay (I wouldn't know how to be honest) The only contact I've had with the seller was if it was ok to pick up and pay cash to which they have said no problem.Theres nothing on the ad that mentions VAT.i might even get out bid as it's got a couple of days left

midlife

Guru
So the person I'm buying from ,may be a business to which I will have to pay the extra £4 if I win

That's all I can think of if vat is mentioned, when you are looking at the item is there a visit shop icon at the right side?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
This is were the idiot part of me comes into play.i placed the bid and hit enter and the message came up saying its subject to 20% vat.. From my limited knowledge surely this second message should of come up first before bidding. It would only be £4 if I win but I'm just a little curious

Top Bottom