Could someone help an idiot out and explain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I have just bought a frame from Ebay off a Dutch seller, he is a business, something has changed with Ebay causing an initial panic on my part, I waited until the last 10 seconds, placed the bid and won, beating somebody else who bid 4 seconds after me (always a good feeling) what caused the panic? a notice came up that the price would be subject to vat, I thought shoot this must be something to do with Brexit that I don't know about, but the amount I was asked to pay and payed was my winning bid so all good.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ask the seller??

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
should be fine if paying cash and collecting (otherwise always use credit card/PayPal)
Slightly OT, but beware if a seller says you can collect and pay cash - I did that recently and the seller failed to tell eBay that I had picked up and paid for the item.

I got reminders from eBay that I still hadn't paid the bid price (plus the delivery charge!) and then a few days later a message from them saying that my account had been flagged with a "failure to pay".

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have just bought a frame from Ebay of a Dutch seller, he is a business, something has changed with Ebay causing an initial panic on my part, I waited until the last 10 seconds, placed the bid and won, beating somebody else who bid 4 seconds after me (always a good feeling) what caused the panic? a notice came up that the price would be subject to vat, I thought shoot this must be something to do with Brexit that I don't know about, but the amount I was asked to pay and payed was my winning bid so all good.
This I think makes it clearer. As I read it, they are alerting you that the price includes VAT, not that you have to pay extra.

Jody

Stubborn git
Slightly OT, but beware if a seller says you can collect and pay cash - I did that recently and the seller failed to tell eBay that I had picked up and paid for the item.

I got reminders from eBay that I still hadn't paid the bid price (plus the delivery charge!) and then a few days later a message from them saying that my account had been flagged with a "failure to pay".

Mark the item as paid for from your end using the drop down menu at the end of the item on your 'purchase history'

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi.
I'm somewhat of a dinosaur when it comes to the modern day life and (don't laugh)i dipped my toe into using ebay for the first time--- I can hear you sniggering at the back.
Anyway I've put a bid in for £20 against a small second hand electrical item.The listing said I can pay cash on collection ,which is great because I don't have a PayPal account ,and that the item is close by to me.
However when I placed to bid ,a message came up that its subject to 20% vat..
So if I win this item for £20 will I be obligated to pay the seller £24 when I collect it and pay cash.I only ask because I always thought second hand items were not subject to vat.
Please try not to laugh when you're explaining it 😃
All the best ,
Johnny
Cancell your bid if you think it's to much.

DaveReading

Mark the item as paid for from your end using the drop down menu at the end of the item on your 'purchase history'
Not possible as it doesn't appear on my purchase history (despite the fact that it's sitting 5 feet away from me as I write).

Jody

Stubborn git
Not possible as it doesn't appear on my purchase history (despite the fact that it's sitting 5 feet away from me as I write).

Then you'll need to contact Ebay resolution center.

Not sure why it wouldn’t be in your purchase history if you bought it through ebay, other than you deleted it.

DaveReading

Then you'll need to contact Ebay resolution center.

Not sure why it wouldn’t be in your purchase history if you bought it through ebay, other than you deleted it.
I'm guessing that you don't know why because it has never happened to you. Fair enough.

The first I knew of the problem (after I had picked up and paid cash for the item) was an email from eBay saying "Dave, the seller has cancelled your order because you didn’t pay".

I did indeed contact eBay's resolution centre and raised a complaint against the seller. I don't know the outcome, but eBay did clear the "did not pay" default from my account.

In chatting with the agent online, they advised that this happens quite a bit - since the sale has been officially "cancelled" it means that the seller doesn't have to pay any selling fees.

The reason for my post was simply to warn others who might otherwise fall into the same trap.

byegad

Legendary Member
Sounds like a scam. Ebay are not keen on paying cash. Insist on paying via Paypal, you don't need an account you can just select to use a card.

Top Bottom