Could you live with someone else's eye?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've worn a contact lens today. for the first time in about a year. I used to wear lenses all day till i lost the sight in my right eye and decided with all the scare stories to limit my wearing time to just when i out on my bike. Then when the lenses didn't give me the same vision as my glasses i stopped wearing them altogether.Which leads me onto my question. If someone said to me there's a donated eye,we think we can attach it and make it work. Would you like us to replace your blind eye with it? I'd probably say yes. I know many are squeamish about their eyes and some folk can't even contemplate contact lenses, so the thought of an eye transplant might make them go dizzy. If you only had one working eye, or worse still if you were totally blind would you have a dead person's eye transplant?

with all the scare stories...If someone said to me there's a donated eye,we think we can attach it and make it work...I'd probably say yes.
You're going into a whole new different level of scare stories with donated dead eyes.
Chuck in a contact lens, there are no "scare stories" associated with them. FFS.

midlife

Guru
I come across people who have sections of their teeth implanted in their eye along with an artificial lens and they would do it again..... They would have cadaveric eyes as well

If push comes to shove I'd join them....

Shaun

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If it was a choice of being totally blind or having a donor's eye, I wouldn't have to think about it for more than a second. I put myself on an organ donor's register a few years ago and had to fill out a menu of the tripes I was prepared to offer. I went for the "take the lot" option but my daughter vetoed eye donation. It's completely irrational but quite a deep-rooted taboo.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If it was a choice of being totally blind or having a donor's eye, I wouldn't have to think about it for more than a second. I put myself on an organ donor's register a few years ago and had to fill out a menu of the tripes I was prepared to offer. I went for the "take the lot" option but my daughter vetoed eye donation. It's completely irrational but quite a deep-rooted taboo.

That's it. Some don't mind anything happening to their body but touch their eyes(even when they'll be dead), and it freaks them out!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How about eyeball tattoos?
desktop-1421946630.jpg

desktop-1421946623.jpg

U

User32269

I have a massive phobia about my eyes. Managed to get barred from an opticians once. Take them when I am dead, not gonna bother me, but go near them while I have breath in my body and I will knock you out. My family has a history of cataracts, I cannot even contemplate having treatment.
Don't know where it comes from, but it is a massive phobia. Strange.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Absolutely would if i lost the use of my eyes, there not great now but ok with glasses.
my mother lost one eye to cancer , her false eye is very good on the looks like her eye stakes.
she would love to have her left eyesight back.

she coughed when her Dr was examining her a while back , the false eye flew out and hit him ....lol at that vision Not

Executer murderer Gary Gilmore's corneas were transplanted into two peoples eyes. So a further twist on the dilemma.

A few years ago I had a detached retina and had to go in to hospital for an op to sort it out. (Squemish alert) This involves sewing a strap onto the back of your eyeball to deform the shape out, sticking some gas into the eye so the bubble pushes the retina back and then zapping it back in place with a laser.
I was due to go in and have this done under a general aesthetic. All prepped up and about to be put under and they said they have had some emergency admissions and so did not have a bed for me. Choice was to cancel it or do it under local aesthetic. So I went for the second option. They knocked out the eye they were working on but I was conscious and could see what they were doing with the other one right through. Not the best day of my life.

Coming quite close to losing my sight I would be quite happy to receive a donated eye. But mine are green and I really am not sure about having a blue or a brown one?

Last edited:
Top Bottom