Council recycling places (what a joke)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
On purpose?

Oh yes - a bloody awful clunker I was glad to see the back of.

Sorry, OP, you lost me at 'huge overweight worker' and 'Karen'

I've always found the workers at my local tip to be very pleasant and helpful.

Me too. Although the palava when I wanted to take some asbestos was amusing. I asked how to go about it.

“Well mate, you bring it in, all double bagged. Tell me when you get here and I will put all my PPE on and open the skip for you. I can’t help you do it though, you’ll have to put it in the skip yourself “

Alex321

Veteran
Our local recycling centres are appointment only now!

You need to book the appointment online, giving details, including registration, of the vehicle you will be arriving in and then select a half hour slot.

Turn up early and you will be forced to wait for your allocated slot. Turn up late, or not in the vehicle specified in the booking, and you will be refused entry.

Ours have a similar booking system, but I have turned up quarter of an hour early and been admitted immediately.

I haven't tried arriving late or in a different car.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Strangely, the only thing that our local place don't take is car batteries. The guy said "we used to take them, but they're too valuable; people kept breaking in and nicking them - so we stopped taking them"

My local tip (Haylie Brae, Largs) won't take used car batteries either. I wish someone would break into my garden and take the dead car battery and similar motorbike battery which are now unwanted garden ornaments as I have nowhere else to put them.
So what do others do with them to dispose of them? I didn't realise they had any value, so presumably someone must want them?

Gillstay

Ãœber Member
My local tip (Haylie Brae, Largs) won't take used car batteries either. I wish someone would break into my garden and take the dead car battery and similar motorbike battery which are now unwanted garden ornaments as I have nowhere else to put them.
So what do others do with them to dispose of them? I didn't realise they had any value, so presumably someone must want them?

I take them to the local scrap place and they give me money for cake.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The rules are a joke. We've visited the tip at least 6 times in the last few weeks. Every time I've been, I've been asked for proof of address so I always take my driving license. (I'm male). Whenever my partner goes (she's female), they just ask for her postcode and let her in. Either enforce the rules or don't. If you don't then what's the point in having them

a.twiddler

Veteran
The rules are a joke. We've visited the tip at least 6 times in the last few weeks. Every time I've been, I've been asked for proof of address so I always take my driving license. (I'm male). Whenever my partner goes (she's female), they just ask for her postcode and let her in. Either enforce the rules or don't. If you don't then what's the point in having them

Postcode is on your driving licence? Same thing, surely.

presta

Guru
I haven't been up the dump since I stopped driving, so it must be more than 20 years. Things have changed a bit since then, I never used to have much bother.
Me too. Although the palava when I wanted to take some asbestos was amusing. I asked how to go about it.

“Well mate, you bring it in, all double bagged. Tell me when you get here and I will put all my PPE on and open the skip for you. I can’t help you do it though, you’ll have to put it in the skip yourself “
I had to get rid of a sheet of asbestos from under the old boiler a while back, but Essex County Council collects up to 40kg for free. Just double bag it, mark it and leave it outside, then they take it away and leave you a certificate to say it's been disposed of correctly. They won't take it at the dump.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I went to my local Danish recycling centre on Friday. I was looking for polystyrene boxes with lids to store stuff in the loft. I found a couple of half decent ones and was putting them in the car, when the tip official leapt into action. "You cannot have those she" she said. "Why not, I often come and collect them" I replied. She removed the boxes out of the car and threw them back in the container. "Come with me" she ordered. We walked a few paces into another area and she said "Take what you need". There was a huge pile of brand new boxes with lids.

If you do not take liberties at our tip, they really look after you. ^_^

Top Bottom