Council recycling places (what a joke)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Absolutely.I do that every couple of years.I also dip the bottom of fence posts in a bucket of oil for a few days to preserve them before digging them in.The tops rot out long before the bottoms do.

dicko

Guru
When we lived in Lincolnshire I would take my waste to Peterborough, Cambridgeshire to dump it was much closer and better for Lincolnshire too.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I took an old fridge from work down to the local tip a few years back.Because I was in a white van they refused me entry because It was classed as business waste and not household.I parked the van by the entrance and physically dragged the fridge into the tip,to which the staff where more than happy about.
Absolutely bonkers 😲

That wouldn't work here, pedestrians are not allowed to enter the site :whistle:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I expect money is at the root of all this. Councils are strapped for cash. It costs money to get rid of rubbish, and if they don't police it so that only bona fide domestic waste is brought in then contractors will take the mickey.

Meanwhile, the lovely contractors do this (from my ride last weekend)
1704704583374.png

I remember about 15 years ago we were moving my mum out of her old house, so I had hired a small van (a Berlingo I think). Before loading up for the main job I nipped to the tip with a small amount of rubbish, where they refused me entry because I was in a van. Fortunately when I showed how little stuff was in the van (just a load of plastic plant pots) they let me in.

AndyRM

XOXO
My local refuse centre has extended its opening hours due to bin collectors going on strike.

A decent idea in theory, but I don't fancy loading up the car with a couple weeks worth of rubbish and recycling.

Chislenko

Veteran
Although not a regular visitor have never had a problem at our local one.

Obviously like most places just need to remember to have something with address on.

Most people nowadays carry a photo licence but I am still in possession of a rather tatty paper one so don't carry it with me.

He did let me in recently with my bus pass which doesn't have an address on "just this time mate"

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Unfortunately many recycling centres are run as little fiefdoms.
The booking thing is utterly ridiculous.
I could rant with stories that are echoed here, but instead will make a positive shout-out to Devon's Punch Bowl Recycling Centre!

Not only does it have magnificent views over Devon's countryside, the staff are very friendly and helpful too, it's a joy to go there. No booking either. Best best of all it has a Re-Use shop! How sensible!
https://www.devon.gov.uk/wasteandrecycling/recycling-centres/reuse-shops/

Punch Bowl is a perfect example of how good a recycling centre can be, well done DCC.

On the bigger picture, making it hard for people to dispose of waste encourages fly-tipping which to me makes no sense at all.
Proper free to use light commercial disposal should be readily available.

Alex321

Veteran
Unfortunately many recycling centres are run as little fiefdoms.
The booking thing is utterly ridiculous.

The booking thing started when they re-opened after lockdown, in order to not have too many people on site at the same time.

But they have now continued with it here in the Vale of Glamorgan, presuambly still to manage numbers on site. You can book for the same day, it really isn't too onerous.

Big John

Guru
I took some old housebricks to the tip, maybe a dozen or so. The tip man saw what I was about to tip (in the skip full of bricks and building waste) and said it was £3 per brick to tip. I told him he must be kidding. I told him I wouldn't pay a penny. He then lowered the price to £10 for the lot. I told him politely where to stick his £10. I still have them (several years on) tucked away behind a shed at the bottom of the garden.

AndyRM

XOXO
I took some old housebricks to the tip, maybe a dozen or so. The tip man saw what I was about to tip (in the skip full of bricks and building waste) and said it was £3 per brick to tip. I told him he must be kidding. I told him I wouldn't pay a penny. He then lowered the price to £10 for the lot. I told him politely where to stick his £10. I still have them (several years on) tucked away behind a shed at the bottom of the garden.

I think that's probably to stop tradies from taking the proverbial by loading vans full of stuff they should be paying to dispose of properly, that's what happens around here quite frequently.

Top Bottom