Council Tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm in the D band, so get the rebate back to my bank account later.

My parents, who are pensioners in their late 70's, live in a G-band house so get nothing but a £3000 bill :blink:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Mo, I've read it's not an option to decline the government's energy loan.
Me too, I'd rather not have it.
Yes, same in this house. If there is pain to be endured I'd rather do it now than be forced to repay £40pa for 5 years. If I want to borrow money I will, I don't see why government thinks it's appropriate to force me to do this.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I unfortunately am not allowed to start on politics here.

Aye, there was more I wanted to say but I’m biting my tongue.

byegad

Legendary Member
I get my Coonsil* tax bill by email. It came earlier this week, and yesterday I got another telling me that the refund will go into my bank account. Didn't say when though!

*As in the County Durham joke.... 'How many people work for the coonsil? Answer about half of them!'

presta

Guru
Why the heck they couldn't just knock it off the bill I do not know!
It would be a bit expensive having someone with Tippex and a calculator go through a pile of bills by hand:
"We are waiting for software updates from our suppliers before we can deliver the £150 energy rebate. We are not set to receive the software until late April, so the earliest any rebate payments will be made is early June 2022."

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have just received my Council Tax demand for 2022/23 and it doesn't show anywhere the £150 rebate the chancellor has granted us for that year.
Is it just for England then?

In England, South Tyneside, can’t speak for anywhere else. We are band D, and, pay by DD, had a note in annual council tax bill, to say £150 would be refunded to the account paying the DD in April. Daughter No 4, also South Tyneside, Band A. She pays at Council Office, monthly, or, when she remembers. They have reduced her monthly payments by £15 ( ie £150 / 10).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
And completely unfair on people who won’t have received the £200 but subsequently become electricity bill payers and get £40 per annum added to their bill.
Surely this can't be right?
Is the "loan" not for both gas and electricity?
Both fuels have greatly increased!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Surely this can't be right?
Is the "loan" not for both gas and electricity?
Both fuels have greatly increased!

This is the explanation from Martin Lewis (MoneySavingExpert):
What will happen is this - in October, on every single electricity bill in England, Scotland and Wales, you will either have your bill reduced by £200, or you'll be given a bill-credit. If you're on prepay, they'll pay it through your smart meter or they'll give you a voucher or a cheque.

"This is going to happen. There is no choice about it. It is not optional and it is going to happen automatically on every single bill. Then from the following April, and for five years after that, you will then have your bill automatically - without choice - increased by £40 a year.

So it’s only for electricity.

Top Bottom