Council Tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We've received a letter stating that they couldn't match up the council tax account and our bank account. The same bank account they've been direct debiting from for the last ten years. Which has the same names, in the same order, as the council tax bill.

No matter what I tried it wouldn't match, so we're having to take the £150 off the bill, presumably at the end of the financial year. Or never.

Either Kirklees Council are useless as usual, or they're being very clever in making lots of households fail their 'test' so they can keep the cash.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Got my letter last Thursday, and withdrew the cash yesterday.
Option 1 - having it paid into my bank account, was an unnecessary complication, as @DCLane has confirmed.
Option 2 - having the Council pay it directly into my Council Tax account in three months time, amounts to them getting an interest-free loan of the money for three months, and isn't my idea of good financial practice.
Option 3 was to withdraw it in cash.
The biggest difficulty was finding a post office that hadn't been closed.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
We do not pay by Direct Debit.
A letter arrived a couple of weeks ago requesting a recent bank statement, and some boxes to tick, which we returned to the £150 box in Hamtun council offices. Today, we had the form returned as, I gather, the attached bank statement had only our acc no and sort code but not our name.
Tomorrow morning I shall ride into town and let them have the new version.

Here in Northants, if we don't apply for it it will be deducted from next year's bill.

presta

Guru
I applied online, then got an email asking for a recent bank statement. Having fired one off without stopping to think it might be a phishing scam I then froze my bank account until I could check with the council the following day. When I called Lloyds afterwards to unfreeze the account they said "Freeze? What freeze?". I got the payment on 23.5.22.

simongt

Guru
And apparently, if you're a landlord with say ten properties, then you, as the property owner will get the £4000, not the tenants. So it seems to presently a matter of personal moral ethics / choice whether said landlord passes said grants onto their tenants. :whistle:

simongt

Guru
On a lighter note, many years ago when my late ex was putting me though a particuarily nasty divorce, she tried to stitch me up into paying a lot of back council tax on the 'former marital home' in which she still resided. Went to the CT office and it transpired, no idea how, that they owed me 49p. - ! :laugh: I said to the nice manny I'd let them off that one - ! :rofl:

And apparently, if you're a landlord with say ten properties, then you, as the property owner will get the £4000, not the tenants. So it seems to presently a matter of personal moral ethics / choice whether said landlord passes said grants onto their tenants. :whistle:

Does this not depend on who pays the bills?

I rent currently and am responsible for the Council Tax and all utility bills. I got a CT rebate last month.

If the LL pays however then I think you're right, they'll get it. I'd expect a lot of HMOs will fall into that category.

Alex321

Veteran
On a lighter note, many years ago when my late ex was putting me though a particuarily nasty divorce, she tried to stitch me up into paying a lot of back council tax on the 'former marital home' in which she still resided. Went to the CT office and it transpired, no idea how, that they owed me 49p. - ! :laugh: I said to the nice manny I'd let them off that one - ! :rofl:

On a similar note, I remember once, when I was working as a freelancer, getting a tax demand for £0.75. Which they stated in the letter they would not be taking any action if I chose not to pay it - so I sent them a cheque, which probably cost them more to process than the value.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I was just reading about the £400 energy 'grant' - I think from what had been said everyone is expecting it in October - however, it appears that energy companies have 6 months from October to credit to accounts - cynically, I wonder how many will pay us in October.....

Top Bottom