Council Tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having been unable to get it paid into my bank account as Kirklees Council's system is useless (they wouldn't accept our joint bank account despite the council tax bill being in the same names), I asked for it to be put onto the council tax account balance instead.

Only they didn't.

I chased them up, without reply, but they've at least now done it.

Kirklees Council = completely useless :cursing:

Last edited:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
My local authority makes you apply through an outfit called Grant Approval at https://www.grantapproval.co.uk/. They email you back to say they want to see a recent bank statement. If you try to upload it to them when you are on holiday abroad you get the following message:
1657538906450.png

If you try to access them through a VPN using a UK server you get exactly the same message.
Obviously people who cannot spell Kingdom also have trouble understanding the basic absurdity of permitting council tax payments authorized from abroad whilst denying council tax rebates authorized from abroad. Perhaps someone should take them aside and quietly explain what the internet is for.

presta

Guru
I applied online, then got an email asking for a recent bank statement. Having fired one off without stopping to think it might be a phishing scam I then froze my bank account until I could check with the council the following day. When I called Lloyds afterwards to unfreeze the account they said "Freeze? What freeze?". I got the payment on 23.5.22.

I've just had a letter saying "We agree with you complaint" and crediting my account with £25, but they're still spinning a different story about the events.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I sent them an email and had a reply yesterday saying the council is sending letters soon so we can collect the money at the post office.
Let's wait and see.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I got a letter with a code on it that I cashed at the post office for the £150, then I paid the council tax with it. Madness really. They should have just taken it off everyones bill to start with.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Here, in sunny Norfolk, most of the DD council tax payers got their money into their bank accounts by the end of May. Letters were sent to everyone else with a 1 time password on them. Seemed to work, mostly.

Some people had to send statements (and moaned about it) because there are prepayment assurance checks made to the bank accounts via a bit of government software. Not all banks subscribe to the govt software, which is why the local authorities ask for a statement showing name, address, sort code and account number. Many of the online only banks don't have the checking agreement and one or two of the big high street banks.
Joint accounts stuff things up because, in general, letters are sent to the first named person on the Council Tax bill. No idea why.
The checks are in place so that unscrupulous people cannot pinch their parents/aged aunts/grandparents rebate money. The local authorities will be audited on the payments, as will the cabinet office.
Pretty sure that the council tax department, up and down the country, found out that the payments were being administered by them at the same time the general public did.

People who don’t have bank accounts have the option to credit their council tax bill, some councils are sending cheques, some send prepaid visa cards. Everyone who is entitled should get paid. The money comes from the cabinet office, not the councils. The staff are doing their best.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
How come? Even those on Universal Credit have to make a small payment towards it. Is it because you get pension credit?or are you in prison or homeless?

My ex hubs is on ESA Or whatever it’s called, and PIP too. He is exempt and pays nothing. It’s not uncommon. Lots of folk on pensions, pension credits etc., pay no council tax.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
My ex hubs is on ESA Or whatever it’s called, and PIP too. He is exempt and pays nothing. It’s not uncommon. Lots of folk on pensions, pension credits etc., pay no council tax.

Yeah I think it depends on your council as well? some are more generous than others with their exemptions. Here even if you are unemployed you have to pay a something towards the council tax. It used to be free but not now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yeah I think it depends on your council as well? some are more generous than others with their exemptions. Here even if you are unemployed you have to pay a something towards the council tax. It used to be free but not now.

I only have state pension plus a very small private pension (about £12/week) and the council (correctly!) assume that I would struggle to pay council tax, so fortunately I don't have to.

I checked how much I could earn now before housing and council tax benefits reduced significantly. The answer is not much! Even earning £50/wk would reduce those benefits by about £23/wk, but that is fair enough.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I only have state pension plus a very small private pension (about £12/week) and the council (correctly!) assume that I would struggle to pay council tax, so fortunately I don't have to.

I checked how much I could earn now before housing and council tax benefits reduced significantly. The answer is not much! Even earning £50/wk would reduce those benefits by about £23/wk, but that is fair enough.

Thats good. My mum has a small private pension of £100 per month and gets the state pension and AA and she has to pay the full council tax.She has no rent so at least thats something.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not free here either in Glasgow council or in South Lanarkshire council: maybe a little amount compared to the full tax, but something must be paid by pensioners and by unemployed people.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Not free here either in Glasgow council or in South Lanarkshire council: maybe a little amount compared to the full tax, but something must be paid by pensioners and by unemployed people.

I think higher paid pensioners maybe but the lower paid ones and those unemployed people on just £75.00 per week its very unfair really.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

Sounds a strange thing to do…..give them unemployment benefits, just for them to pay it back in council tax.

Top Bottom