Countdown to my Next Bike Ride......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Very good news @Katherine! xxx

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
NBR -23 :bicycle:
The intensive physio I started on Thursday, is proving painful.
I have three issues:
The main thumb joint which had the ligament repair - keep up the gentle and passive stretches. Not too bad and is improving. I start strengthening exercises in one more week.
The tip of my thumb where it was dislocated does not bend much. I have to hold that joint in a forceful stretch even though it hurts.
My wrist is weak and doesn't bend easily without hurting and I have to try an use it even though it hurts.
I think I did so much forceful bending and stretching on Thursday and Friday so I've done a lot less over the weekend.
The physiotherapist was more realistic than the consultant I saw on Monday about how long it will take me to get my hand useable. The Consultant just said I could start using my hand but it seems that's easier said than done.
I am keeping to my target though!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
NBR -23 :bicycle:
The intensive physio I started on Thursday, is proving painful.
I have three issues:
The main thumb joint which had the ligament repair - keep up the gentle and passive stretches. Not too bad and is improving. I start strengthening exercises in one more week.
The tip of my thumb where it was dislocated does not bend much. I have to hold that joint in a forceful stretch even though it hurts.
My wrist is weak and doesn't bend easily without hurting and I have to try an use it even though it hurts.
I think I did so much forceful bending and stretching on Thursday and Friday so I've done a lot less over the weekend.
The physiotherapist was more realistic than the consultant I saw on Monday about how long it will take me to get my hand useable. The Consultant just said I could start using my hand but it seems that's easier said than done.
I am keeping to my target though!
:bravo:

what's the sound of one hand clapping though. ^_^

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
NBR -20 :bicycle:
I walked up to the station, got the train for 2 stops, then walked round in circles for half an hour, then finally found the leisure centre! It was actually less than 10 minutes walk if I'd gone straight on in the first place.
Anyway, I've been to my first ever spin class. Felt dead after half an hour but I made it to the end. I couldn't lean on the handle standing up so the teacher told me to increase the resistance instead.
Going to be saddle sore after 2 months off. Hopefully it will help me get ready for getting back on the bike in January.
My bike needed new chain, cassette and big ring because they're worn out so my club friend is fixing it all for me and new hoods because the left shifter was badly damaged.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Spin is the work of the Devil!

Glad you are still on the road to recovery. I have done a few spin classes with my wife and also when on an all-inclusive holiday a year or two ago but try to avoid the kind of torture it inflicts if I can help it....

Having said that, I do think it noticeably helped my fitness at the time and also found it easier pedalling when standing on some hills, something I never did before due to not being comfortable or efficient when standing. I have gradually fallen back into old ways since my last spin class (must be more than a year ago).

It's good someone is preparing your bike for you in readiness. Are you not tempted to try a little spin around the block before the countdown finishes? I certainly would be.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
Spin is the work of the Devil!

Glad you are still on the road to recovery. I have done a few spin classes with my wife and also when on an all-inclusive holiday a year or two ago but try to avoid the kind of torture it inflicts if I can help it....

Having said that, I do think it noticeably helped my fitness at the time and also found it easier pedalling when standing on some hills, something I never did before due to not being comfortable or efficient when standing. I have gradually fallen back into old ways since my last spin class (must be more than a year ago).

It's good someone is preparing your bike for you in readiness. Are you not tempted to try a little spin around the block before the countdown finishes? I certainly would be.
I couldn't really hold the handle properly with my left hand.
I spent most of the time holding on with my right hand in the middle or sitting up with no hands.
I didn't do the standing up bit, she told me to increase the resistance whilst everyone else was standing up. I might try next week.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
NBR -17 :bicycle:
Today I am allowed to start strength exercises for the thumb and whole fist using special shaped foam and a stress ball. Only 2 sets of each once a day, which when I did it this morning was very painful!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Interesting things, thumbs.

The opposed grip they give us is one of the things that makes us different from the rest of the animal kingdom.

As Katherine will have discovered, there are many simple things that are not possible to do without the hooking/steadying action provided by the thumb.

Picking up a knife, fork, a cup, or a plate are all but impossible without the thumb.

As regards riding a bike, the thumb is critical to gripping the hoods, and it wouldn't be possible to get a safe grip on the rest of the bars using just four fingers.

If you get a flat, it would be hard to undo a presta valve/use a pump without a thumb, let alone the impossibility of thumbless removal of a tyre.

Hopefully Katherine will make a full recovery, but in the meantime she has at least got a working thumb on the other hand.

No thumbs at all would make daily life difficult.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
A friend from my cycle club fixed it up for me.
I have a lot of new parts and he's straightened the front wheel as best as he can.
I was going to get an upgraded group set but we've been unable to source the right sizes at a sensible price.
So I will start saving for a new bike and this one will be there as a winter /commuter bike.

Top Bottom