Counting!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MiK1138

Veteran
only time I count strokes is if i'm pulling away from a junction or have slowed down for a corner, then I get out of the saddle count 8 strokes then sit down again

Julia9054

Guru
Have counted strokes per minute a couple of times, just to get a rough idea of my typical pedalling cadence. Only done that 2 or 3 times at the most as it doesn't really interest me, but NEVER found myself counting pedal revolutions continuously :wacko:
I use music. As someone who plays in bands, i know how many bpm a piece of music is so sing in my head and match pedal strokes.
An American concert march e.g. Liberty Bell (Monty Python theme) will keep you at 90 rpm!
I am rarely walking or cycling without being in time to some tune in my head!

Sharky

Guru
You are not alone. There are a couple of hills that take me close to beaking point. Lungs about to explode, legs about to break and arms and back giving way and I just tell myself, just keep going for another 10 pedal rotations and I'll make it to the top.

Sharky

Guru
There is another time I count the pedal strokes. In a TT and I'm usually riding fixed, instead of applying an even force on every downstroke, I will count 1-2-3, 1-2-3 etc and on the third count apply a forceful down stroke. Then on the next 3, do the same with the other leg.

It seems to keep my speed up and gives my legs a resting interval between the forceful down strokes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
On leg breaker climbs I count three pedal stroke on my right leg using maximum effort and soft pedalling my left, then swop for the next three and so on. A piece of advice I once read from Les West and it seems to work - or at least it passes the time till I reach the top.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Wish I could stop but I keep counting my pedal strokes! Particularly going uphill. Is it just me or is it common out there?
I think for me it's thinking, I will make it up there:bicycle: with just 20-50-100 or whatever strokes!
I use counting on hills too. It seems that three pedal revolutions per breath gives me a sustainable rhythm. I also do it on the turbo.

I'll even find myself counting when I've no idea why I'm counting. I remain convinced though that I cycle faster if I count in triplets - 6/8 rhythm in musical notation. 3/4 is slower but steadier - however, you'll waltz up every hill. . .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On steep things of the 20% type I sometimes count how many breaths it takes to get to a corner / wall / stationary sheep / whatever. Something along the lines of "Can I get to that rock in the next 33 breaths?" It amounts to a rather less predictable form of counting pedal revolutions.
If I know how many metres I have to climb (and I usually do) I watch the elevation reading and count down 10 metres at a time ... 290 metres of ascent left, 280, 270 ...

Zipp2001

Veteran
Never though about counting my pedal strokes even when I'm doing my thigh burner climbs.

Ice2911

Über Member
On steep climbs, especially when touring, I count to 10 and keep repeating, it seems to help. If it gets really step then it’s “”f****, f***” and repeat that also seems to help. Failing that it’s my 24inch gear ;)

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom