Counting!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I use music. As someone who plays in bands, i know how many bpm a piece of music is so sing in my head and match pedal strokes.
An American concert march e.g. Liberty Bell (Monty Python theme) will keep you at 90 rpm!
I am rarely walking or cycling without being in time to some tune in my head!
Thinking back, I spent a lot of time playing double bass in orchestras, which often entailed counting pretty extended bars' rest. Perhaps it became an automatic thing to do because I'll often find myself counting 123,223,323,423,523 without even knowing I'd been doing it.

There is another time I count the pedal strokes. In a TT and I'm usually riding fixed, instead of applying an even force on every downstroke, I will count 1-2-3, 1-2-3 etc and on the third count apply a forceful down stroke. Then on the next 3, do the same with the other leg.

It seems to keep my speed up and gives my legs a resting interval between the forceful down strokes.
Probably my music background again but I'll put the ''accent'' on the 1st.

Zipp2001

Veteran
How many leaves have you sprayed?

Haha, 3 so far.

bladderhead

Can't stop counting your revs? Think that is bad? What about constantly calculating your distance using your gear-inches? Hard to do if you have hub gears because you cannot count the teeth of the cog.

Top Bottom