Couple of good BBC4 docus.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Caught them both, very good both of them :thumbsup:

Ganymede

Veteran
I hadn't seen the LA one and it was absolutely riveting. Too late for me to cope with the Velorama one - the music was too annoyingly trippy and I was falling asleep!

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Another documentary 'The Armstrong Lie' C4 tonight (Mon) at 9pm, and 'Ride of my Life' Robert Penn repeated BBC4 Wed 9pm. 'A sunday in Hell' (Paris-Roubaix 1976) BBC4 Thursday 11.00.
Excellent. thanks for the heads up on that!

Armstrong has made himself out to be some kind of a mafia don of cycle doping I gather. Mother watched Storyville and said "what an a***hole!" at the end.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Watched a large section of the lance Armstrong programme ,but as I had already read the Tyler Hamilton nook their was no surprises to the storey,dedicated and tenacious the man only wanted to win and be the best at no cost

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Watched a large section of the lance Armstrong programme ,but as I had already read the Tyler Hamilton nook their was no surprises to the storey,dedicated and tenacious the man only wanted to win and be the best at no cost
Almost seems as if you'd let him off? Please clarify. There was PLENTY of cost, also plenty of collateral.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Almost seems as if you'd let him off? Please clarify. There was PLENTY of cost, also plenty of collateral.
No way he was a bully ,the money made him out weigh the risks,they knew what they were doing ,did it a level that he thought was ok,and the other riders had to keep up,

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
No way he was a bully ,the money made him out weigh the risks,they knew what they were doing ,did it a level that he thought was ok,and the other riders had to keep up,
But it wasnt OK. It ruined lives.His team made threats against investigators (like one to shoot the brains out of a guy). They spread lies that Greg LeMond was on heroin. The wife of their key sprinter also had her reputation tarnished by Armstrong's team, as did LeMond's wife.

It sounds to me that you HAVENT actually read Hamilton's book. Because if you had you'd realise they nearly destroyed the sport for rider and fan alike.

DannyCFC

I remember watching some of the LA interviews at the time and thinking I don't like you but you admit to not being a nice person. But God you've got guts, you can ride a bike, and you can do some good in the world - and you are doing.

Watching them again I feel sickened. I feel robbed of all those hours watching him race and spilling my Saturday afternoon plate of sandwiches in excitement, but that's not the worst thing he did.

He ruined careers and reputations, and worst of all he gave people with cancer and those who love and care about them false hope.

Berties

Fast and careful!
But it wasnt OK. It ruined lives.His team made threats against investigators (like one to shoot the brains out of a guy). They spread lies that Greg LeMond was on heroin. The wife of their key sprinter also had her reputation tarnished by Armstrong's team, as did LeMond's wife.

It sounds to me that you HAVENT actually read Hamilton's book. Because if you had you'd realise they nearly destroyed the sport for rider and fan alike.
No idea where you are going with your self raised argument ,riders knew what they were doing,yes Armstrong was a player but pro riders got to three years on average and then dived into the drug scene,so they could be their so called best ,at no stage could I condone the actions,American postal riders were encouraged by him ,but there were more than his team using drugs ,he lied ,wriggled and used people
And the reputation of cycling lives in that shadow till this day

Top Bottom