Courteous use of cycle lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
On my route there is a segregated cycle lane that, if I used it, I would be on it for about 15 seconds before having to get back into the traffic, or sit for 2 minutes waiting for the cycle filter lights at the end to turn green. I can travel about 20-22mph down that section of road so I tend to stay on the road. But I've had a few dodgy passes, beeps and 'get in the cycle lane' comments - not enough to put me off, but enough to make me wonder whether it's going to happen again every time I cycle down the street.

Is there a case for using the cycle lane for the benefit of others, just to keep the peace?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/55.8651768,-4.2757469/55.8655395,-4.2802611/@55.8652284,-4.2781447,17z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

Profpointy

Legendary Member
On my route there is a segregated cycle lane that, if I used it, I would be on it for about 15 seconds before having to get back into the traffic, or sit for 2 minutes waiting for the cycle filter lights at the end to turn green. I can travel about 20-22mph down that section of road so I tend to stay on the road. But I've had a few dodgy passes, beeps and 'get in the cycle lane' comments - not enough to put me off, but enough to make me wonder whether it's going to happen again every time I cycle down the street.

Is there a case for using the cycle lane for the benefit of others, just to keep the peace?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/55.8651768,-4.2757469/55.8655395,-4.2802611/@55.8652284,-4.2781447,17z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

no

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Might just be worth printing off a few copies of the DfT advice that at 18mph or more you should be using the road rather than a cycle "facility".
Link here.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No. There's a case for reporting the defective/policy-breaching delay on the cycle lights on www.fixmystreet.com though - I bet the council has a transport policy saying they should prioritise/encourage cycling, which delaying them for 2 minutes does not do.

Might just be worth printing off a few copies of the DfT advice that at 18mph or more you should be using the road rather than a cycle "facility".
Link here.
That was a consultation draft never issued as advice. Current guidance is that commuter cycle tracks should be usable at 20mph average speed - but almost nothing is built to that standard yet, so keep on the carriageway if needed to achieve that speed.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
BTW, I assume this is the junction shown on Street View at https://goo.gl/maps/7yeGNttxjur complete with drivers exchanging details after a nose-tail shunt :eek: Watch out if you wait in the queue of traffic there!

There's a couple of junctions on my most frequent route where I switch between cycle track and carriageway as traffic level and light phases change - if one resolutely sticks to the cycle track and waits for all the signals, it can take 7 minutes to do 700m, which is just absurd. As a result, people cycle some quite...errr... innovative routes, including some hard-as-nails workmen in head-to-toe dayglo who just ride diagonal straight along the desire line across nine lanes of 40mph motorists and a verge :eek:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Here's part of my commute:
Screenshots_2015-10-08-12-54-04.png
Despite the cycle path to the left, 90% of the time I ride straight down the dashed line in the middle of the carriageway. The reasons for this are:
  • The cycle path has lots of junctions and other hazards, making it dangerous to negotiate at the speed I travel.
  • The road, although a dual carriageway, is a 30mph limit with loads of lights, so I can largely keep up with traffic.
  • Riding down the centreline enables most traffic to safely pass me but if there are large vehicles or I feel threatened I can easily switch to primary position in the right hand lane.
  • Riding down the centreline enables easy filtering at the lights, of which there are many, whilst keeping out of the way of left turning traffic.
  • Further down the road, it splits to three lanes (four if you count the right turn filter) and I need to turn right. Secondary position in the left lane, as many cyclists take, would require me to cross three lanes of traffic. This way I just hop into the filter lane.
I have only ever been shouted at twice. Once was a guy giving me a thumbs up shouting "25mph!" as I kept pace with him past the speed camera. The other was a guy in a Jag, seemed quite agitated but I couldn't make out what he said. Must've been congratulating me on my most excellent road positioning.

Put simply, I own that piece of road.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As an ardent hater of our piss poor excuses for our cycling infrastructure I had my answer ready for the OP's question - 'No'. I then looked at the streetview imagery - it is actually not a complete disaster. I would actually be tempted to use it - sure it is too narrow and it has a weird solution at the bus stop, but it actually has plenty of bail out gaps, maintains the priority for the cyclist and seems to be clear of detritus.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
If I got on it at its beginning (it starts a few streets on the left I think) then yes I probably would use it. And thinking about it now, whenever I'm at the front of a queue of traffic I do duck in and use it because I don't have to worry about slowing down in front of accelerating traffic. I just can't quite see the point of braking in front of moving cars to slot in through one of the gaps only to have to come back out again 15 seconds later.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That was a consultation draft never issued as advice. Current guidance is that commuter cycle tracks should be usable at 20mph average speed - but almost nothing is built to that standard yet, so keep on the carriageway if needed to achieve that speed.
Do you have the link to that?

Jody

Stubborn git
Here's part of my commute:
Despite the cycle path to the left, 90% of the time I ride straight down the dashed line in the middle of the carriageway.

You ride down the centre line of Penistone Rd?

Top Bottom