Courteous use of cycle lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im confused. Why would you ride down the centre line of a dual carriageway?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think he may mean somewhere near the line on the left. If not, Im not surprised you lot get grief from motorists :ohmy:9

winjim

Smash the cistern
Remember it's rush hour, 30mph limit, lots of traffic lights. I'm usually going at least as fast if not faster than the rest of the traffic and am filtering for a lot of the time. Straight down the middle is the safest place to be. And my point was that I don't get grief from motorists. I think that most of them realise that to pass me would mean they just get stuck at the next set of lights a bit earlier.

Where do you think I ought to ride?

Jody

Stubborn git
Personally, I would pick a lane and stick with it. If you reach the back of standing traffic then move over to the center line and filter. If your moving with the speed of traffic then take primary in the left lane.

It just seems crackers to go down the center line unless there is standing traffic. If a car passes close on your right and you need to move left your under someones wheels and vice versa.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I bet the council has a transport policy..

stop-i-am-going-to-pee.jpg

We're talking about Glasgow City Council here...

(And the answer to the OP's question is NO.)

GC

winjim

Smash the cistern
Apologies for thread derailment as I thought Winjim was the OP.
Yes, sorry guys. I was only using my own experience as an example of how I choose to ignore a cycle path and instead take an assertive position on the road.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Might just be worth printing off a few copies of the DfT advice that at 18mph or more you should be using the road rather than a cycle "facility".
Link here.
What a splendidly civilised bit of text. I like this bit "If you need to overtake another cyclist, give a gentle ring on your bell or say 'Excuse me'."

However they didn't mention tipping your hat to passing vicars.

Levity aside, it was interesting, thanks.

Top Bottom