Coventry City of Culture 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was going to write something about our take on City of Culture this year in Hull, but @ClichéGuevara 's post already pretty much sums up my feelings and experiences.

We've taken part in loads of stuff, both family-friendly with the kids and more adult orientated stuff (not that kind...) as a couple and it's all been superb, plus the knock-on positive effect on local people and the vibe around the city has been tangible.

My wife has been leading the training of the 3,000 strong volunteer team so we've seen plenty from behind the curtain too, and it's been a similarly positive story for staff and volunteers working on the project and gaining amazing new skills, experiences, friendships and professional connections as a result.

Are you in Hull too, @Shaun ?

Good luck to Coventry once the baton is handed over; I hope you'll find it equally exciting and invigorating to the city; I'm sure we'll get along a couple of times in 2021. :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I spent 3 wasted years at the uni, and I was wasted for much of the time, and lived in an area called Stoke.
Culture was pretty thin on the ground back then. I've never been tempted to go back since but I hope this makes a real difference.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I spent 3 wasted years at the uni, and I was wasted for much of the time, and lived in an area called Stoke.
Culture was pretty thin on the ground back then. I've never been tempted to go back since but I hope this makes a real difference.

I spent 3 years wasted at Cov Uni too, in fact I was so wasted I made it 4. Only a couple of years in the wasteland of Stoke, but what do you expect when almost every house is a student house.

Culture in Coventry nosedived when the Dog and Trumpet closed.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I spent 3 years wasted at Cov Uni too, in fact I was so wasted I made it 4. Only a couple of years in the wasteland of Stoke, but what do you expect when almost every house is a student house.

Culture in Coventry nosedived when the Dog and Trumpet closed.
The Northfield Arms was the dive of choice for me which had the added advantage of being safe from IRA bombs cos of the rather dubious clientele!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I rode to Hull this year, I'll have to ride to Coventry in 2021 - if I remember :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Northfield Arms was the dive of choice for me which had the added advantage of being safe from IRA bombs cos of the rather dubious clientele!
My mates and I used to go to the Albany in Earlsdon which was frequented by some future Coventry cultural icons: Random musicians -> The Automatics -> The Coventry Automatics -> The Specials; Hunky young guy who wanted to be an actor -> Drama School -> UK TV -> Hollywood (Clive Owen).

Top Bottom