Coventry City of Culture 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I thought for a second this thread was about the Sky Blues. They're below the mighty Accy Stanley in the cultural league 2 by the way!:okay:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/accrington-stanley/table

We're just coming to the end of our first year as the UK City of Culture, and I think most of us here think it has been fantastic, and really made a difference. I've always loved it here, but there is a distinctly different vibe about the place now. I can't praise the work of the people involved highly enough.

Good luck Coventry, if you get half the effect we've had, you'll be more than impressed.

Sharky

Guru
Remember I went on a school field trip to look at the architecture when I was doing my A levels. The cathedral was impressive, but didn't it have a leaky roof in the early days.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I thought for a second this thread was about the Sky Blues. They're below the mighty Accy Stanley in the cultural league 2 by the way!:okay:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/accrington-stanley/table

Doesn't that make Coventry the stronger team if they are holding up all the other teams above them :laugh:

Remember I went on a school field trip to look at the architecture when I was doing my A levels. The cathedral was impressive, but didn't it have a leaky roof in the early days.

Certainly the old Cathedral has a very leaky roof since the Germans removed it all those years ago

Slick

Guru
I live on the outskirts of the only Scottish contender and whilst I wish you and Coventry all the very best for the coming year and beyond, I couldn't help feel a bit envious of the new opportunity that's coming your way. I spoke to some of the older ones at work who have seen Paisley in its hey day and witnessed the not so slow decay of their town and opportunities drain away like water down the drain. Some may think thats a bit dramatic, but there was a few who had tears in their eyes at the thought of missing out on another opportunity. That said, there seems a determination to go it alone in so far as they can without the additional funding. Hopefully the contenders that fell short in the end can continue their good work and drive their fair share of investment towards regeneration.

Enjoy your year Coventry, you certainly had to come through some stiff opposition to win the day, well done.

Shaun

Founder
We're just coming to the end of our first year as the UK City of Culture, and I think most of us here think it has been fantastic, and really made a difference. I've always loved it here, but there is a distinctly different vibe about the place now. I can't praise the work of the people involved highly enough.
It has been good, hasn't it. Our daughter has had a lot of opportunities this year in connection with her dance, drama and singing - with one of the highlights being dancing at the New Theatre with the Royal Ballet for the grand re-opening.

My wife and I got to sit in on the dress rehearsal the night before and it was amazing watching the team do the show run-through. It's far more complex than you realise and by the end of the night, some four hours after the start (due to all the stops, retakes, re-cues of the dancer positions, lights, sound, set and backdrops) they were up to cue point 254. Big support team and crew, professional throughout and fascinating to watch the dancers perform. Such strength and grace. You can see where they get their reputation from.

She's also done lots of other gigs and was a wolf in the Macnas Parade through the town a few weeks ago. Been a great year, and much more interesting than we'd initially thought. :smile:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Shaun glad to hear it helped you and yours .

I doubt Coventry won't help me personally but if it helps others celebrate and gives others new experiences then that is good surely .

As in all things there are winners and runner ups , and as @Slick said they might have the determination to go it alone .

All Cities and even right down to little villages have some culture to show and offer others .

gavgav

Guru
I’ve only been to Coventry city centre twice, once to look around the University, 24 years ago (I didn’t end up there) and the other time for an Ocean Colour Scene concert at a bizarre village hall like club, which ended in a fight amongst some idiots in the crowd!

I had better experiences going to Football at The Ricoh Arena, as we found a fantastic pub called The Greyhound at Sutton Stop, by the Canal.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I went to Coventry City FC's old Highfield Road ground as an away fan following Tottenham.

It was before segregation, although we were behind one goal and they were behind the other.

At half-time, I watched a mob of Coventry fans run around the ground to come and get us.

I've been to some non-league grounds where the home fans will change ends at half time to stay behind the goal their team is attacking.

But at Coventry, all the home fans wanted to do was attack us.

Culture of a sort, or at least social history.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D is a Coventry girl and is quite pleased at the news. I'm not a fan of the place myself being a country boy loike, but there's no denying the amazing history of the place.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I went to Coventry City FC's old Highfield Road ground as an away fan following Tottenham.

It was before segregation, although we were behind one goal and they were behind the other.

At half-time, I watched a mob of Coventry frans run around the ground to come and get us.

I've been to some non-league grounds where the home fans will change ends at half time to stay behind the goal their team is attacking.

But at Coventry, all the home fans wanted to do was attack us.

Culture of a sort, or at least social history.

Wasn't it Tottenham that Coventry actually beat to win the fa cup once

Dave7

Legendary Member
During 40 years "on the road" reping & surveying Coventry was, strangely one of the few major cities I have not been to.
I recall my Dad telling me it was virtually rebuilt after the war.
Worked in Liverpool a lot and that certainly seemed to benefit from its year(s).

Top Bottom