Covid App: Yay or Nay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yay: I want to do my bit to help loved ones, neighbours and my whole community.

Nay: I don't want no damned dirty government app telling them all about me. Its probably all a hoax fake news sheeple thing anyway. I wonder who is REALLY behind it all...!!!!!!!!!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
nay from me... I'm not willing upgrade my trusty old phone for it.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The App has made its source code available for all to see so if you think it's dodgy you can go prove it...

My concerns are that while most adults own a smartphone, Only about 40% of over 60's own one, who are the among the highest risk group. When you factor in those that wont download it because they think someone can be bothered to spy on them buying some banana's from the shop, user error, battery drain and software crashing i do wonder if it really serves much practical use. I'd wager a very minor effect if any...

D

Deleted member 26715

I installed it last night, despite not going anywhere the battery has drained twice as fast, I uninstalled it, then I turned off Bluetooth, at which point it advised me that the tracking was no longer available without Bluetooth being on, so it looks like it's not actually uninstalled.

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
Whats an app?
You remember when you worked in an office and you had a desktop, a filing cabinet full of files, a window and a waste basket and now you see all of that on your computer. Do you remember the lady with the tea and cake trolly who used to come around at 11:00 and 4:00. Well that is like an app on your computer phone.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Nay, I had it in March and I don't want to be self-isolating when I am almost certainly immune (for now). The app also has stupid flaws like leaving you checked into venues until midnight of the same day unless you check out or check in somewhere else (so you could be forced to isolate if you went to McD's for breakfast and a late-night drunk, who later tested positive, popped in for a burger 18 hours later).

Oh, and I wouldn't trust Dido Harding to run a bath.

Drago

Legendary Member
You remember when you worked in an office and you had a desktop, a filing cabinet full of files, a window and a waste basket and now you see all of that on your computer. Do you remember the lady with the tea and cake trolly who used to come around at 11:00 and 4:00. Well that is like an app on your computer phone.
But I used to hate work (apart from the tea lady) so im quite pleased its not on my phone. Left all that behind.

So the amswer is NAY! Even if I had a smartphone i wouldn't download it.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I got an email from the NHS this morning recommending that I download it. Perhaps because there are a fair few dodgy data miners hovering around this government, it doesn't feel like it's actually from the NHS, it feels like unaccountable people have used public money to get their hands on NHS's data and the right to freely use the NHS ''brand name'' to boot. Having Harding, with her history of appalling data hygiene, to head things up isn't exactly confidence inspiring either. I simply don't trust any of the people involved with it.

Meanwhile, I'm participating on the ONS infection survey, the King's College and Zoe Covid app, and keeping to government advice, so my reluctance to use this app is nothing to do with obstructing genuine test and trace operations.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nay, I had it in March and I don't want to be self-isolating when I am almost certainly immune (for now). The app also has stupid flaws like leaving you checked into venues until midnight of the same day unless you check out or check in somewhere else (so you could be forced to isolate if you went to McD's for breakfast and a late-night drunk, who later tested positive, popped in for a burger 18 hours later).

Oh, and I wouldn't trust Dido Harding to run a bath.
What makes you think you’re immune? Have you had the antibody test?

Top Bottom