COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Is there a policy on volunteers working at vaccination centers getting vaccinated.
Think the JCVI direction offers this "Frontline health and social care workers . . . . This group includes those working in hospice care and those working temporarily in the COVID-19 vaccination programme who provide face-to-face clinical care."
So this must include those volunteers (as well as employed) in vaccination centres 'in the booths' and similar employ.
I think we should not denigrate the 'leadership' aspect of a local MP taking the vaccine. Communities vary and elders/leaders leading by example are valuable in those who might otherwise refuse.

lane

Veteran

My post relates to the many previous posts on who is getting the vaccination.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would love to see some up to date figures on who is getting the vaccine. I know locally at least 5 people in their 40s with no clinical need who have had their first dose. A couple of NHS backroom staff who work from home almost exclusively and a 3 volunteers at a local vaccination centre. One of them even called me up and offered a dose if I could get down within the next 30 minutes. Surely, like flights they could just overbook by a small percentage rather than dragging randoms off the street.
With elderly or vulnerable people who may have had to travel some distance (about which there has also been moaning? And then these people have to wait outside all day (as centres won't necessarily have a safe comfortable waiting area) on the off chance there’s leftovers?
There’s no easy solution to what to do with leftover Pfizer doses. Presumably as the AZ vaccine becomes the one being more widely used this potential wastage becomes less of a question

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I would love to see some up to date figures on who is getting the vaccine. I know locally at least 5 people in their 40s with no clinical need who have had their first dose. A couple of NHS backroom staff who work from home almost exclusively and a 3 volunteers at a local vaccination centre. One of them even called me up and offered a dose if I could get down within the next 30 minutes. Surely, like flights they could just overbook by a small percentage rather than dragging randoms off the street.

Indeed. My next door neighbour, (age approximately 50, works for Local Authority, currently working from home, no health issues), received vaccination yesterday.

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed. My next door neighbour, (age approximately 50, works for Local Authority, currently working from home, no health issues), received vaccination yesterday.
That’s more unacceptable to me than a handful of volunteers who’ve given up their time to support the vaccination effort receiving a vaccine that would otherwise be wasted.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
With elderly or vulnerable people who may have had to travel some distance (about which there has also been moaning? And then these people have to wait outside all day (as centres won't necessarily have a safe comfortable waiting area) on the off chance there’s leftovers?
There’s no easy solution to what to do with leftover Pfizer doses. Presumably as the AZ vaccine becomes the one being more widely used this potential wastage becomes less of a question

This is true, but, would it not be more fair to have a transparent "reserve list" open to all, and not just those "in the know"?

lane

Veteran
Think the JCVI direction offers this "Frontline health and social care workers . . . . This group includes those working in hospice care and those working temporarily in the COVID-19 vaccination programme who provide face-to-face clinical care."
So this must include those volunteers (as well as employed) in vaccination centres 'in the booths' and similar employ.
I think we should not denigrate the 'leadership' aspect of a local MP taking the vaccine. Communities vary and elders/leaders leading by example are valuable in those who might otherwise refuse.

Deciding a random MP can have the vaccine to show leadership is a very poor argument indeed. Have you any evidence that he either represents a constituency with low take up or is a leader among communities which have a poor take up. He was a middle aged white male, hardly likely to be seem as a leader or influencer among the demographic that has been shown to be vaccine hesitant (which you have previously documented in detail). I don't even know what party he represents - are you defending him because of his party?

vickster

Legendary Member
This is true, but, would it not be more fair to have a transparent "reserve list" open to all, and not just those "in the know"?
They’re not in the know (or certainly weren’t perhaps before the media started shoot stirring as usual). My friend volunteered to help at a centre, not to jump the queue. All of the medics working at the centre were prioritised over non medical volunteers for spares

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
My next door neighbour, (age approximately 50, works for Local Authority, currently working from home, no health issues), received vaccination yesterday.
Perhaps your neighbour has a health issue placing them in Group 4 which they do not wish to share (with you).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That’s more unacceptable to me than a handful of volunteers who’ve given up their time to support the vaccination effort receiving a vaccine that would otherwise be wasted.
I'm not sure. That Local Authority worker may be "currently working from home" but if they are not normally working from home then it may be that they are desired back on the front line to deliver key services which have been cut temporarily, whereas the vaccination volunteer may be off back to estate agency or whatever soon. The devil is in the details here and hopefully it is only a difference of at most of a few months.

lane

Veteran
They’re not in the know (or certainly weren’t perhaps before the media started simtorring as usual). My friend volunteered to help at a centre, not to jump the queue. All of the medics working at the centre were prioritised over non medical volunteers for spares

I think its fairly clear some are getting the vaccine because they are in the know

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
They’re not in the know (or certainly weren’t perhaps before the media started simtorring as usual). My friend volunteered to help at a centre, not to jump the queue. All of the medics working at the centre were prioritised over non medical volunteers for spares

Fair enough, that does not, in my mind, constitute being "in the know".

Top Bottom