COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
In what form would you accept the data, sir: a peer-reviewed study? 'Interesting@ as in 'we live in interesting times' I presume?
Do you think what's reported is likely to be false or flawed in some way?
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-maccabi-001-infections-after-second-covid-dose-1001358431
"The data from Maccabi Health Services digital health services division found that only 20 out of 128,600 people who received their second dose of the vaccination more than a week ago have been infected with Covid-19 to date. Maccabi stresses that this is only very preliminary data but nevertheless very encouraging.
"Maccabi reported that most of the 20 people who have been infected, despite having two doses of the vaccine, are over 55. Half of them have underlying conditions and half have none. All are experiencing mild symptoms such as headaches, coughing, weakness and tiredness. None of the 20 have been hospitalized [and none] have even experienced a temperature above 38.5°C. Most of them were infected by another patient who had tested positive for the virus."

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Whilst nobody wants to see vaccine being thrown away due to a lack of bodies it does store up problems for 12 weeks time when those without a clinical need are getting it now.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Whilst nobody wants to see vaccine being thrown away due to a lack of bodies it does store up problems for 12 weeks time when those without a clinical lead are getting it now.
Many clinical staff would love the 1st one never mind looking forward to the 2rd one.
Mrs 73 was all set to get going but for the forth time the vaccine failed to show. Now they've been given mid feb at the earliest. :sad:
As for down the road your totally right more you do now less you can do later. Given it’s not clear just have much supply we really have it may not turn out well.

Ajax Bay

Guru

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In what form would you accept the data, sir: a peer-reviewed study?
A spreadsheet would do, attached to a study or not.

"Maccabi reported that most of the 20 people who have been infected, despite having two doses of the vaccine, are over 55. Half of them have underlying conditions and half have none. All are experiencing mild symptoms such as headaches, coughing, weakness and tiredness. None of the 20 have been hospitalized [and none] have even experienced a temperature above 38.5°C. Most of them were infected by another patient who had tested positive for the virus."
It is good that none were hospitalised but curious that most infectees are 50+. It wonder what proportion of vaccinees are 50+.

Ajax Bay

Guru
https://theconversation.com/anti-va...accine-hesitancy-of-black-communities-153836?
Addressing and 'fighting' vaccine hesitancy among Black (and ethnic minority) communities is complex because just as the SARS-CoV-2 virus evolves, so does that hesitancy.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
curious that most infectees are 50+. I wonder what proportion of vaccinees are 50+.
BBC (3 Jan):
Israel began vaccinations on 19 December and is now (2 Jan) delivering Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine jabs to about 150,000 people a day, with priority given to the over-60s, health workers and people who are clinically vulnerable.
So (with no data ;)) I suggest it's very likely that the majority of the 128,000 vaccinated with their second 2 dose (21 days apart) by 17 Jan were over 50 and surmise that those who subsequently displayed COVID-19 symptoms (in the week 18-25 Jan) and were tested (all 20 of 128,000) reflected that proportion. Note that in the (imperfectly matched) general population the infection rate experienced was 20 times more, and some of those (statistically and actually) have or will develop(ed) severe symptoms and few will tragically go on to die. Israel are currently experiencing about (7-day average) 50 deaths reported each day.
What's slightly surprises me, looking at the stats (WHO), is that the death rate seems to have peaked about the same day as the daily reported cases (infections) whereas you'd expect a lag of maybe ~ 21 days. The UK case rate peaked on 7 Jan iirc.
Hope that sates your curiosity.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] So (with no data ;)) I suggest [...] Hope that sates your curiosity.
Not really, as it is guesswork based on piecing together news reports and apparently taking the most optimistic interpretation possible. Like the poster next to my old university office door (left by the previous occupant) said: In god we trust: all others must bring data.

I expect we'll find out soon. Until then, as I wrote earlier, "I await the UK data on effectiveness with interest, as I do the Israeli experience data."

lane

Veteran
The Government have not been shy about spending vast sums to tackle the pandemic. Mostly, obviously, with little impact given the massive death toll. However, it would seem that willingness to commit funds early to vaccines is paying dividends now.

Ajax Bay

Guru
https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work...response/public-health_en#eu-vaccine-strategy
CEO notes in that interview that supply of the Oxford-AZ vaccine is on a 'when available' basis, presumably with a prediction offered of the month-by-month supply profile, to inform the purchase process.
The European Parliament site gives the background (my emboldening):

"On 17 June, the European Commission presented a European vaccine strategy to accelerate the development, manufacturing and deployment of vaccines against COVID-19. Safe and effective vaccines against COVID-19 is our best bet to overcome the pandemic.
That is why the Commission mobilised a significant part of the budget available under the Emergency Support Instrument to secure sufficient vaccine supplies for Member States through a wide portfolio of Advance Purchase Agreements with vaccine manufacturing companies.
To date, 2 safe and effective vaccines against COVID-19 have been authorised for use in the EU following positive scientific recommendations by the European Medicines Agency:
  • BioNTech-Pfizer: up to 600 million doses: On 11 November 2020, the Commission approved a contract to purchase up to 300 million doses (of which the Commission decided to purchase 100 million additional doses on 15 December 2020). On 8 January 2021, the Commission proposed Member States to purchase another 200 million vaccine doses, with the option to acquire 100 million additional doses.
  • Moderna: up to 160 million doses (of which the Commission decided to purchase 80 million additional doses on 15 December 2020).
The Commission has reached agreements with 4 pharmaceutical companies to allow the purchase of vaccines against COVID-19 once they pass clinical trials and are proven to be safe and effective:
Exploratory talks for further contracts have concluded with:

Top Bottom