COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Production of the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine has resumed at a plant after it was suspended when a suspicious package was received.
The Wockhardt UK plant on Wrexham Industrial Estate was evacuated and the Army sent a bomb disposal unit.
Police said the package had been made safe and its contents would be "taken away for analysis".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55822838

'sakes

What must it be like to live in a grown up country?

Capturen.PNG

The Britain [sic] for the win.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"BRUSSELS, Jan 27 (Reuters) - The European Union is asking AstraZeneca AZN.L to publish the contract it signed with the bloc on COVID-19 vaccine supplies after the company's chief executive revealed confidential clauses" https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/eu-...ract-after-ceos-disclosures-source-2021-01-27

All may not be as reported so far? I assume the EU is bound by the usual public-sector rules and possibly also contract clauses against publishing the contract while others are negotiating with AZ, so has to ask their permission to do so. Asking publicly isn't normal, though. Edit to add: if it's similar to the CureVac contract which has been published, linked from @AjaxBay's recent post, I wonder if AZ listed the UK manufacturers as planned manufacturing sites in the contract.

I've also some sympathy for South Africa's President Ramaphosa accusing the UK and EU of "hoarding" vaccines at this week's virtual Davos. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/26/sou...rich-countries-to-stop-hoarding-vaccines.html

It is not difficult to forsee that vaccinating everyone and their dog in Europe but only the vulnerable in Africa and not superspreaders there might mean leaving enough virus around for yet more new variants to arise, maybe with one that the current vaccines don't stop. Then what will the money and effort expended by "the Britain" to "storms ahead" have achieved?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
We should consider asking Astra Zeneca to divert a few million doses of the batches expected for the UK vaccination programme to Eire, asking them to concentrate this generosity on their programme in Donegal, Meath, Cavan, Louth, Monaghan, Leitrim and Sligo.
NB Population of Eire is 5M and of these counties about 600k. This would be entirely consistent with several policies, would demonstrate our good neighbourliness (with a dose of self-interest) and also takes into account the free movement between Eire and the UK (not just NI): the 'Common Travel Area'.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
What must it be like to live in a grown up country?
Would you care to be a little less cryptic, in the context of vaccines and their supply across the world? Are you resident in a country other than the British Isles?
1611829094416.png

where is that clipping from?
This ^^. Think it packed a lot of factual info into a small space.

mjr

We should consider asking Astra Zeneca to divert a few million doses of the batches expected for the UK vaccination programme to Eire, asking them to concentrate this generosity on their programme in Donegal, Meath, Cavan, Louth, Monaghan, Leitrim and Sligo.
NB Population of Eire is 5M and of these counties about 600k. This would be entirely consistent with several policies, would demonstrate our good neighbourliness (with a dose of self-interest) and also takes into account the free movement between Eire and the UK (not just NI): the 'Common Travel Area'.
I suspect such dictation of changes to Ireland's vaccine deployment plan would be unwelcome and it was reported they had 600,000 ordered for now until March anyway, so all gov.uk should do is urge AZ to fulfil their contracts. All their contracts. As the WHO has said, no one is safe until all countries are safe.

Reactions: C R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
urge AZ to fulfil their contracts. All their contracts.

It's very clear that AZ are unable to fulfil the anticipated deliveries (what the contracts demand, neither you nor I know) due to technical difficulties.

"Urging" more will have no more effect than "urging" the tide to recede.

That neither Pfizer nor AZ have managed to deliver unprecedented scaleups of manufacturing should be a surprise to nobody.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The chances of Astra Zeneca (or indeed Pfizer) having contracted to deliver x vaccines by y date to a particular customer without caveats (eg on manufacturing disruptions) is 'nil'. They are commercial companies; not desperate politicians looking for unity and scapegoats.

tom73

Guru
A good example of why this need's to be delivered and ran from the bottom my ones who really know local people and the community. Only by real peer to peer support can we make this work central top down way won't fix this. It's just making it even worse this is not about one life mattering over another it's about equal access to health.

New paper shows white people in England aged 80+ are being vaccinated at twice the rate of black people, and rates in deprived neighbourhoods are lagging behind less deprived areas and it's growing.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.25.21250356v1.full.pdf

Esw-14RW4AU7SqC.png

mjr

It's very clear that AZ are unable to fulfil the anticipated deliveries (what the contracts demand, neither you nor I know) due to technical difficulties.

"Urging" more will have no more effect than "urging" the tide to recede.

That neither Pfizer nor AZ have managed to deliver unprecedented scaleups of manufacturing should be a surprise to nobody.
Yes, maybe I should have written that gov.uk should urge AZ to fulfil its contracts equitably. If manufacturing capacity is 90% of needed, then deliver everyone at 90% rate.

The chances of Astra Zeneca (or indeed Pfizer) having contracted to deliver x vaccines by y date to a particular customer without caveats (eg on manufacturing disruptions) is 'nil'. They are commercial companies; not desperate politicians looking for unity and scapegoats.
It seems equally low chance that AZ's contracts only list UK-based manufacturing plants to supply the UK, EU-based ones to supply the EU and so on, as their CEO has suggested. I expect they will have listed as many plants as possible in order to make themselves look dependable and keep the prices up. I suspect this is why the EU now wants the contract published.

The AZ CEO is a politician. Just not elected by the public.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom