COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rocky

Hello decadence
From macro to micro.

No word on my jab yet, which I should have by February 15 if the government is to reach its target.

Even if a letter arrived tomorrow, there would still be a week or so before the appointment.

Looks like this one is going down to the wire.
Good luck - I hope the appointment comes through soon. My 70yr old BiL had his a week ago. My sister is 65; and is scheduled for one next week. They live in Bedfordshire.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
From the Torygraph:

However the redacted contract, which does not reveal how much was paid, states that "AstraZeneca has committed to use its Best Reasonable Efforts... to build capacity to manufacture 300 million Doses of the Vaccine, at no profit and no loss to AstraZeneca, at the total cost currently estimated to be [redacted] Euros for distribution within the EU, with an option for the Commission, acting on behalf of the Participating Member States, to order an additional 100 million Doses."

This morning the Spectator reports that when ministers saw a similar offer in the UK contract, Alok Sharma and Matt Hancock "insisted on a legally binding promise to serve Britain first", which they later received.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
This morning the Spectator reports

Might not be an entirely authoritative source, and might not stand up in court even if correct.

I'd caution anyone who
(1) isn't an international corporate law expert
(2) hasn't seen both contracts

to opine on the legal position.

And even if you are in that position, the politics of this might cause a negotiated settlement different to the formal contract.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Good luck - I hope the appointment comes through soon. My 70yr old BiL had his a week ago. My sister is 65; and is scheduled for one next week. They live in Bedfordshire.

Thanks, but I'm not downhearted about my vaccine situation.

I tested negative again on Wednesday, so my anti-Covid measures are working.

It's also apparent everyone involved is really putting their backs into getting to me as soon as possible.

I can't ask anymore than that.

I'd caution anyone who

Dammit! I am just about to appear in front of a select committee - they ARE going to ask about this. I thought this thread was the place to come for upto date legally watertight info.

Quick - where should I get 100 easy words on this to help me opine??

: panicking:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Might not be an entirely authoritative source, and might not stand up in court even if correct.

I'd caution anyone who

And even if you are in that position, the politics of this might cause a negotiated settlement different to the formal contract.

What, you have to be a professional and to have studied all the literature before commenting on any thread in CycleChat/News & Current Affairs subforum?

lane

Veteran
Dammit! I am just about to appear in front of a select committee - they ARE going to ask about this. I thought this thread was the place to come for upto date legally watertight info.

Quick - where should I get 100 easy words on this to help me opine??

: panicking:

The only advice I can give you is whatever they ask don't answer that question answer something else. Bash the incompetent EU and praise the UK Government. Say it wouldn't have been possible without Brexit. Say no foreigners will be getting our vaccine. Try to avoid legalities and technicalities for which you are not qualified. Job done.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So I'm screwed then. 😠

Unless I can get them talking about the advantages of rim-brakes ...

You could say the legalities are a 'known unknown' and see what linguistic hoops that leads you to.

(With a nod to that American bloke who did the wonderful thing of inventing a phrase which was taken up as common parlance.)

Cirrus

Veteran
My understanding as that the UK contract is binding the EU one is "best effort". So UK gets priority. But probably won't be as simple once the lawyers get involved.

From what I've seen of the publish document it's "best reasonable efforts" as opposed to "best efforts", am pretty sure there's a fair bit of difference between the two (a legal bod would obvs have a better understanding).

I was under the impression that there was a non disclosure agreement associate with the contract, when giving it a cursory look the confidentiality section seems to imply that the parties must not make public the contents, will be interesting to see if AZ have any recourse against the EU for publishing it , again a legal bod will know far more than I.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
... will be interesting to see if AZ have any recourse against the EU for publishing it , again a legal bod will know far more than I.

AZ will have agreed to the publication.

[Edit: yes indeed:

Following the renewed request from the European Commission on 27 January 2021, pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca has agreed to publish the redacted contract signed between the two parties on 27 August 2020.

The Commission welcomes the company's commitment towards more transparency in its participation in the rollout of the EU Vaccines Strategy
. ]

Top Bottom