COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
I suppose on a pure practical note if, as seems likely it goes to arbitration, until it is resolved the UK will continue to get the disputes doses. If so wonder how long it will take. A sort of finders keepers scenario.

Cirrus

Veteran
AZ will have agreed to the publication.

[Edit: yes indeed:

Following the renewed request from the European Commission on 27 January 2021, pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca has agreed to publish the redacted contract signed between the two parties on 27 August 2020.

The Commission welcomes the company's commitment towards more transparency in its participation in the rollout of the EU Vaccines Strategy
. ]
Transparency on both sides then it seems, something to be applauded...

(edit for typo)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Transparency on both sides then it seems, something to be applauded...

(edit for typo)

I think you can probably infer from this also that the contract doesn't support either side absolutely (as was always likely given the fact there was a dispute). But we will see what happens.

roubaixtuesday

I suppose on a pure practical note if, as seems likely it goes to arbitration, until it is resolved the UK will continue to get the disputes doses. If so wonder how long it will take. A sort of finders keepers scenario.

Note that the EU is wielding a big stick in that negotiation which is the option to prevent export of vaccines. In which case they get finders keepers on the Pfizer vaccine...

lane

Veteran
Which doesn't seem to be about contracts or arbitration but just grabbing what you can because you can.

roubaixtuesday

Which doesn't seem to be about contracts or arbitration but just grabbing what you can because you can.

They could be (and are!) saying the exact same about us insisting UK manufactured vaccine stays in the UK.

I've no idea on what the contracts say on that, but there's no current reason to believe we're in the right keeping hold of AZ vaccine, or EU doing likewise on Pfizer.

They could be (and are!) saying the exact same about us insisting UK manufactured vaccine stays in the UK.

I've no idea on what the contracts say on that, but there's no current reason to believe we're in the right keeping hold of AZ vaccine, or EU doing likewise on Pfizer.
The difference is the company has made that decision not the uk goverment

Given that the other party to AZ contracts is... ...the uk government, I don't think that's a line that will hold in the real world.
I expect the UK govt would be making similar threatening noises if AZ were cutting off UK supply to deliver their vaccine to the EU.
Uk preordered months ago, az had the time to prepare infrastructure, so if the uk would make that noises they would be in a stronger position then the eu. It's not because the eu bursts in at the last minute means az has to change there whole approach to accommodate them. It does'nt work that way.

Ah well, glad it's that simple.

Oxford/AstraZeneca will rely on European plants for initial supplies after UK supply chain holdup

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...ses-held-up-by-manufacturing-delays-1.4430676
Which is something completely different let me explain, the article you are referring to is before the EU order, it's not that the evil uk stole vaccine's away from the EU, the eu simply had'nt ordered them yet.

It's the very basics of economics of you buy something before it's even released or in this case approved you have it faster then when you burst in at the very last minute especially if it is an very big order.

Top Bottom