COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the leaked reports last week said they'll just keep on going down in age order.
The JCVI will set out who they believe should be next in line for Covid-19 jabs in a few weeks time.
Asked who would be next to be vaccinated after the top nine priority groups, JCVI member Professor Adam Finn (University of Bristol’s School of Clinical Sciences), told BBC Breakfast (9 Feb):
“That discussion is ongoing at the moment and of course it goes beyond just medicine and public health as to who society values most and who they think are most important.
“In terms of the JCVI, we’re very focused on the evidence of who’s at the highest risk and at the moment the outstanding factors predicting that is still age.
“And of course you need a system that you can operationalise, so you can identify the people and quickly get the vaccine to them. So I can’t give you an answer to exactly how that will look.
“But over the coming few weeks we’re making those plans and I think they will have to be an announced by the end of February or early March so that we know what we’re doing next.”
I'd be amazed if there wasn't some special pleading, and indeed would support it in the second phase. The 99% most vulnerable will have been vaccinated in the first phase (by April). The differences in vulnerability to serious illness in the various elements of the under 50 cohort are very small, so these decisions will move into the politico-economic realm, unless the JCVI play the 'prone to transmission' card. Or maybe there will be merit in targeting the programme geographically, in particular constituencies which have higher than average daily case rate or test positivity %.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't even know when my age group will be done but I'll be out the first opportunity in April jab or not, I won't be relying on a vaccination.
It is easy to be brave when you will probably have been offered vaccination by then.

classic33

Leg End Member
Has anyone on this thread not had the vaccine or been booked in for later this week except the people who cannot have it? I think there are 1 or 2 on here who haven't.
I'd have been there in half an hours time, 11:40 today, but unable to have the jab. Someone else got the spot instead.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think this is an interesting article highlighting the varying uptake of vaccines. I agree this is a potentially serious issue with some similarities to the probable vaccination problems in poorer countries.

At present I'm unlikely to visit a country where the vaccine programme hasn't been rolled out effectively. It would be a terrible situation if people began to avoid areas of our towns and cities through a perceived threat from low vaccination levels.

Guardian

lane

Veteran
I saw an article by a scientist yesterday that said the maximum R rate for covid in the UK is now 2 (down form the natural rate of 3) due the level of vaccinations and people already infected. Presumably the max R will be even lower in April and lower again in June, so any increase in cases will be slower than we have seen in the two peaks so far.

I can understand the feeling of being thrown under a bus. As someone who had to go back to work in September, in not the most covid secure environment by any means, I was concerned by discussion of returning to normal by Easter before I got my jab. However as it turned out we didn't return to normal, we went back into lockdown and I went back to working form home. I also got my jab much earlier than expected.

To me talk of dates and returning to normal is just that - it has been said many times before and didn't happen.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I don't even know when my age group will be done but I'll be out the first opportunity in April, jab or not, I won't be relying on a vaccination.
It is easy to be brave
@shep won't need to be brave. He'll judges the risk to be low, and he's right. Low for him, and low for his mum (under 60 (say) and low for his aged, vaccinated grandad. You don't need to be brave either, @mjr, just have a reasonable approach to risk - of course you may have other morbidities which will inform the risk to you personally - and avoid any buses.
@shep may want to consider prudence as to the type of social contact when he's "out in April" as there is a risk of increased transmission. But those infected are at minimal risk (under 60 or vaccinated) in the overall scheme of things. The NHS will not be crammed with C19 patients (<10%) and will have more resources to treat all the other serious diseases and illness (>90%) and hopefully rebalancing and staff taking the leave owed to them.
The number of C19 cases in mid April will result in few serious illness and very few tragic deaths. As a percentage of deaths in late April in UK it's likely that weekly deaths with C19 as the underlying cause of death will be less than half of 1% of all deaths each week, comparable with the number of deaths from road traffic incidents (averaged 37 per week in 2019) and about a third the number of weekly suicides (averaged over 130 per week in 2018).
As @marinyork says:
There are other big things at the moment, people dying of cancer and other diseases not able to access treatment fully, people who've lost businesses, relationships, their jobs, perhaps everything.

Last edited:
@shep won't need to be brave. He'll judges the risk to be low, and he's right. Low for him, and low for his mum (under 60 (say) and low for his aged, vaccinated grandad. You don't need to be brave either, @mjr, just have a reasonable approach to risk - of course you may have other morbidities which will inform the risk to you personally - and avoid any buses.
@shep may want to consider prudence as to the type of social contact when he's "out in April" as there is a risk of increased transmission. But those infected are at minimal risk (under 60 or vaccinated) in the overall scheme of things. The NHS will not be crammed with C19 patients (<10%) and will have more resources to treat all the other serious diseases and illness (>90%) and hopefully rebalancing and staff taking the leave owed to them.
The number of C19 cases in mid April will result in few serious illness and very few tragic deaths. As a percentage of deaths in late April in UK it's likely that weekly deaths with C19 as the underlying cause of death will be less than half of 1% of all deaths each week, comparable with the number of deaths from road traffic incidents (averaged 37 per week in 2019).
As @marinyork says:
Got no Parents or Grandparents so won't be worried about them unfortunately and I see the risk as low as I genuinely feel it won't kill me.

Can't help how I look at risk but it's how I am and in my opinion it's a calculated risk I'm happy to take.

I've been mixing through either work or family throughout in which time the Son had it with next to no symptoms and his girlfriend who was a bit 'fluey 'for a while.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Shep, I genuinely don't know if you are a real person or an internet character you've made up.

Top Bottom