COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don"t know what you"re talking about. I was talking about Covid testing.
Mis-understanding on my part.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My daughter rang uni yesterday to ask about return procedures. Apparently, if a student refuses a test, college will do nothing about it and they will still be allowed back to resume normal college life. :wacko: If replicated across the country, I can see cases of infection exploding again.

Julia9054

Guru
My daughter rang uni yesterday to ask about return procedures. Apparently, if a student refuses a test, college will do nothing about it and they will still be allowed back to resume normal college life. :wacko: If replicated across the country, I can see cases of infection exploding again.
It’s the same in schools. We are not allowed to force people - students or staff. My son is a carer - staff have been doing weekly pcr testing since December. Again, it seems that legally they cannot stop a member of staff from working if they refuse.

• Wow
Reactions: mjr

Ajax Bay

Guru
So going back to the 85%. Someone in my age group has something like 8.5% chance of ending up in hospital if they catch it - so severe - on average. So 85% effective reduced the 8.5% to 15% X 8.5% = 1.2% which is reasonably low.

What I don't quite get is - does someone have a much lower chance of catching it AND if they do they have a much lower chance of it being serious or is that double counting somehow?
@lane John Cambell's video (daily) update answers that well for Pfizer and Oxford-AX vaccines.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3otWaBrvEc

Ajax Bay

Guru
Vaccine supply fluctuations
@marinyork has heralded this possibility before.
Bad news: Dip in supply next week (Mon 8 Mar)
Seriously good news: Doubled supply (cf early Feb) from 15 Mar for 'several' weeks (till well after Easter) will mean the daily rate of giving first doses can return to 300k+ concurrently with the necessary second doses (for those on the 12 week gap regime: first doses from 20 December onwards). The mid-April estimate for all over 50s (plus CEV and UHC U/50) to have received their first dose now looks a conservative one - the end of the first 'sprint'.
NHS England: "From 11 March, vaccine supply will increase substantially and be sustained at a higher level for several weeks. Therefore, from the week of 15 March we are now asking systems to plan and support all vaccination centres and local vaccination services to deliver around twice the level of vaccine available in the week of 1 March."
Reading between the lines it looks as if there will be so much supply in the weeks starting 15 Mar that the Vaccine HQ thinks that local storage may become an issue if centres have too much stock 'carried over' and then shed loads arrive on the lorries.
Around the country the programme has already moved on to Group 7 (60-64) by letter invitation, while local primary care concentrates on Group 6 (16-64 with UHC) - because those people's doctors/ PC health staff have a better handle on their identities (and conditions) and offers the chance for any contraindications, concerns or other issues to be personally addressed/raised.
Generally, over 60s can book a vaccination using this link aiui.

PK99

Legendary Member
England vaccine performance in over 80s (source not available):
View attachment 576786
Londinium at 82% bringing up the rear. The eager south west over 80s @ >98%!

1.8% of Cornish population is BAME
5.1% of Devon population is BAME
40% of London Population is BAME

BAME vaccine hesitancy is undoubtedly a significant factor.
The range across London authorities show the same pattern.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Italy have stopped a shipment of AZ vaccine due for Australia - the rights or wrongs are up for discussion, but for anyone outside the EU this really doesn't show them in a great light.
I don't see how you figure that out. It was an Italian government decision. They've just got a new PM last month. I bet this decision is popular there, where AZ is seen as exporting vaccines to less hard-hit countries rather than deliver their EU orders fully.

PK99

Legendary Member
I had Pfizer a week or few ago at normal GP surgery - no side effects at all.

MrsPK had Oxford on Tuesday at Pharmacy in Tooting and ran a temp feeling under the weather for 48 hours. ok today.

We both had untested Covid in March20

johnblack

Über Member
I don't see how you figure that out. It was an Italian government decision. They've just got a new PM last month. I bet this decision is popular there, where AZ is seen as exporting vaccines to less hard-hit countries rather than deliver their EU orders fully.
As I said, seen from outside the EU. I'm sure that it is seen in positive terms from inside Italy. The Italian Gov. went to Brussels last Friday to get their backing. so yes an Italian decision, but agreed by the EU under an EU export authorisation scheme.

As I also said, the rights and wrongs are up for debate. Well, debate by most people, but by others, it can only ever be seen in absolute terms as soon as the EU are mentioned.

Top Bottom