COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thought I'd have a look at the use of 'spring' and 'summer' (in 2021) as used in this thread after @marinyork said he was "just fed up of hearing autumn for this, spring for that, summer for the other :laugh:" and @dodgy articulated his implication: "Using seasons as dates allows quite a bit of flex :laugh:"
There actually isn't much. I have deliberately avoided "spring" and "summer", naming months, shading them with early/mid/late/end when there's uncertainty.
Back to normal is perception as much as what's happening. Things will be back to normal in late spring and early summer, but that's because people will have had enough, as opposed to virus transmission or even deaths and hospitalisations. So it's quite possible that you might have what many on here regard as scarily high deaths going on in the background, but life is more like say tier 1 is now, but for most of the country.
I'm way down the pecking order just!! Shall see though the big 50 awaits this summer.
You're right [@lane ] . . There will be restrictions through till the summer, so it'd be disingenuous for the PM to say otherwise.

Reiterate: All those involved in procurement, distribution, storage (at the various levels across the nation), management and delivery (into arms) deserve massive plaudits. This is not a short race though; but by the end of spring the UK should be close to herd immunity . . . . Internal transmission will diminish and infections brought in from abroad will not gain a foothold and should be much easier to control, with minimal loss of life or serious illness.
Last bit's wrong (was posted in late Jan). The earliest the UK can get 'close to' or 'approach' herd immunity is end July (all adults vaccinated).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yeah but you aren't a politician! The daily briefings and news coverage were terrible for saying seasons or Christmas, perhaps why people stopped watching them :whistle:.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well, 48 hours (50 to be precise) after the jab and nothing - not even a sore arm so I'm off outside this morning to hack back a load of Buddlela that are taking over a chunk of the garden before they start to go mad again this season.

My lovely girl is teasing me by saying that I am so old now that my, equally old, immune system hasn't realised what is happening yet and that when it eventually wakes up and sets to work producing antibodies that I will be well and truly clobbered. :laugh:

In all seriousness we have both had our first jab and our intention is to act exactly as we have been for the last year and abide by the rules as they change going forward - we are definitely not in the 'we're done so sod the rest' camp that, if past compliance issues with a few of our friends/family suggests that this may well be an attitude that will emerge in some people as time goes by. :sad:

I think the phased lockdown release plan is the way to go for a number of reasons but I do believe the 'it's not all over just because you have had your jab' message is going to be a toughie to get across.

I am a JVT fan but thought his reinforcement of the above message in the TV briefing a few nights back was not hard hitting enough when delivered in a softly patronising tone. Ditto Hancock who I have not been particularly critical of thus far. Needs a bit more ooomph the get the 'it's not all over' message across imo.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I am a JVT fan but thought his reinforcement of the above message in the TV briefing a few nights back was not hard hitting enough when delivered in a softly patronising tone. Ditto Hancock who I have not been particularly critical of thus far. Needs a bit more ooomph the get the 'it's not all over' message across imo.
Who might we look to when a 'a bit more oomph' is needed?
Ray Winstone?
Vinnie Jones?
Sean Bean?
😉

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
USA FDA approved Janssen/J&J one dose vaccine. 85% protective even in South Africa, says https://www.thejournal.ie/johnson-j...cine-cleared-by-us-officials-5367928-Feb2021/

Read carefully.

The 85% is against severe illness and death; efficacy is normally quoted against all symptomatic disease.

The J&J vaccine is very similar to the AZ vaccine, and has similar efficacy for one shot too, for time periods where comparisons are available. AZ did not do a phase III trial with one shot, so can't claim efficacy for that.

None of which is to say there's anything wrong with the J&J vaccine, far from it, just to be cautious of what's in press releases.

We don't know what difference on long term efficacy the single shot strategy has, but I'd be happier with a two shot, given the limited data we have. I think J&J are also doing a two shot study.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Janssen COVID-19 vaccine - FDA Approval
USA FDA approved Janssen/J&J one dose vaccine. 85% protective even in South Africa, says [an Irish newspaper]
Read carefully. The 85% is against severe illness and death; efficacy is normally quoted against all symptomatic disease.
None of which is to say there's anything wrong with the J&J vaccine, far from it, just to be cautious of what's in press releases.
Thank you for that 'heads up'. Here is the J&J Announcement of Clinical Trial Results (29 Jan) which (assume) reflects the results shared with the FDA. I don't know if similar definitions were used in the Pfizer, Oxford-AZ and/or Moderna clinical trails.
Vaccine was 66% effective overall in preventing moderate# to severe COVID-19, 28 days post-vaccination, with varying levels found: 72% in the United States, 66% in Latin America and 57% in South Africa (mostly against B.1.351 variant in SA).
The vaccine was 85 percent effective in preventing severe disease* across all regions studied 28 days after vaccination in all adults 18 years and older. Efficacy against severe disease* increased over time [to 100% by] day 49.
The vaccine demonstrated complete protection (100% effective) against COVID-related hospitalization and death, after 28 days. There was a clear effect of the vaccine on COVID-19 cases requiring medical intervention (hospitalization, ICU admission, mechanical ventilation, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), with no reported cases among participants who had received the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine, 28 days post-vaccination.
# Moderate 'to severe' COVID-19 disease was defined as one or more of:
+ evidence of pneumonia,
+ deep vein thrombosis,
+ shortness of breath or abnormal blood oxygen saturation above 93%, abnormal respiratory rate (≥20);
+ or two or more systemic symptoms suggestive of COVID-19.
* Severe COVID-19 disease defined as including one or more of:
+ signs consistent with severe systemic illness,
+ admission to an intensive care unit,
+ respiratory failure, shock, organ failure or death, among other factors.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
ITV News full of dread over 6 cases of Brazil variant in the UK... no evidence, just whipping up tension as they can't report whether the Brazil variant will or won't adversely affect vaccinated population... must be a slow news day.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
ITV News full of dread over 6 cases of Brazil variant in the UK... no evidence, just whipping up tension as they can't report whether the Brazil variant will or won't adversely affect vaccinated population... must be a slow news day.
I blame the chancellor and shadow chancellor for giving such bland interviews this morning! ;)

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Read carefully.

The 85% is against severe illness and death; efficacy is normally quoted against all symptomatic disease.

The J&J vaccine is very similar to the AZ vaccine, and has similar efficacy for one shot too, for time periods where comparisons are available. AZ did not do a phase III trial with one shot, so can't claim efficacy for that.

We don't know what difference on long term efficacy the single shot strategy has, but I'd be happier with a two shot, given the limited data we have. I think J&J are also doing a two shot study.

Interesting quote you have written there. The study you quoted doesn't actually say that. It says this........

"One dose was 85% protective against the most severe Covid-19 illness, in a massive study that spanned three continents — protection that remained strong even in countries such as South Africa, where the variants of most concern are spreading."

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Interesting quote you have written there. The study you quoted doesn't actually say that. It says this........

"One dose was 85% protective against the most severe Covid-19 illness, in a massive study that spanned three continents — protection that remained strong even in countries such as South Africa, where the variants of most concern are spreading."

Can you clarify what you think the difference is? Cheers.

Top Bottom