COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry, don't understand what's 'not right'?

My opinion that it might be 'Great news for the people on this forum'?
No, that we are derestricting before general availability of the vaccines.

I think Boris is just determined to beat the world on this, even if it kills us (well, more of us). That means he wants to derestrict before Biden's 4th July target.

No, that we are derestricting before general availability of the vaccines.

I think Boris is just determined to beat the world on this, even if it kills us (well, more of us). That means he wants to derestrict before Biden's 4th July target.

So a full Month before restrictions are fully lifted (at the earliest) the over 40's should have been jabbed, gives it time to work.

Great news for most of this Forum I would have thought?
Oh I see,

Thought I said the above?

Again, YOU haven't GOT to go down the Pub or anywhere else for that matter until YOU feel safe surely?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If they do that before general availability of second doses, I expect a court case for age discrimination. British Airways as most likely first target.
Sorry, don't get the British Airways connection.

The first phase included health and social care workers and care home workers, who will be of all ages.
Also at least according to the report, it is trips departing from June. As currently 1.6m have had both jabs, a figure which is increasing and at 1 March (to allow for the 12 week gap), 20m had been vaccinated. Whilst the majority of the 20m will be older age groups, the demographic vaccinated may well be those who would go on a UK cruise.

I do also wonder if it is a toe in the water to see what the reaction is and one which will be closely watched both by other businesses? After all ships cannot just be unmothballed (?) overnight and if proof of having two vaccinations gets the wheels turning for some businesses, I can see others going down that route.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The suggestion that "we are derestricting before general availability of the vaccines" [ @mjr ] is manifestly wrong (UK perspective) - see detail below.
So "even if it kills us (well, more of us)" is verging on histrionic, or the uber-pessimistic or super-precautionary (look where that principle is costing lives).
The idea that the UK is 'in competition' with the USA over who can relax restrictions first is laughable. Both nations (indeed all nations) are trying to steer a course between rocks and a hard place. The UK has the tide with it and excellent charts (much improved from last year's experience).
I think it laudable that 'Global Britain' is making its best efforts to emerge from the pandemic, in the interest of its citizens, who are (mostly ;)) no doubt as determined as their leaders 'to beat the world' (would we prefer to 'lose to the world'?) and start living again.
This path is a combination of a determined vaccination programme and a prudently phased relaxation of restrictions, with an eye on 'data not dates'. By mid June, ready for the 'no earlier than' date for the last change, 50M first doses will have been given and of that 50M, 30M will have received their second jab. This is nearly all over 20s: 75% of the whole population - I'd call that a "general availability of the vaccine".

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
If the vaccination programme accelerates to the daily 'doses administered' rate widely suggested (4M a week) then my estimate for completing the over 40s (there are 8.4M 40-49s in UK) is 2 May. And by then nearly all the JCVI Gps 1-4 (overs 70s plus H&SCW plus CEV) will have received their second jab.
Not yet 50 (only months away, though), and I've been invited in for a jab.

mjr

Oh I see,

Thought I said the above?

Again, YOU haven't GOT to go down the Pub or anywhere else for that matter until YOU feel safe surely?
And you don't like anyone discussing their decision-making about that, I remember, and you disagree that the consequences of unnecessarily higher prevalence are unfair to those shielding. But happily, we are still allowed to discuss the approach, and other points. This is a public discussion thread, not a personal wall.

And you don't like anyone discussing their decision-making about that, I remember, and you disagree that the consequences of unnecessarily higher prevalence are unfair to those shielding. But happily, we are still allowed to discuss the approach, and other points. This is a public discussion thread, not a personal wall.
Discuss anything you like, I can't recall saying you can't or that I dislike it?

Are your personal opinions any less valid than mine, I would like to think not.

You have very strong opinions on when people should be 'let out' and I will follow what the Government say, you can do as you please.

mjr

Discuss anything you like, I can't recall saying you can't or that I dislike it?
Certainly the impression given by repeated posts like https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/coronavirus-outbreak.256913/post-6347097

I never said that your opinions were worth less and of course I've strong opinions on decisions that may kill my friends and family. What kind of heartless swine wouldn't?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/coronavirus-outbreak.256913/post-6347097

I never said that your opinions were worth less and of course I've strong opinions on decisions that may kill my friends and family. What kind of heartless swine wouldn't?
I said I don't know why you could be ar*ed to post all the stats, It's a bit different to saying I don't like it or that you can't.

Again,

Your friends and Family can all ensure they're being cautious, at what stage would you feel comfortable resuming 'normal life'?

mjr

The suggestion that "we are derestricting before general availability of the vaccines" [...] 75% of the whole population - I'd call that a "general availability of the vaccine".
75% and restricted by age with an ability modifier is not General Availability. Excluded minorities matter. We shouldn't throw fairness out of the window just because the beginning of the end is in sight.

"General availability, abbreviated as GA, refers to when a product is made widely available to users. It is the phase when all activities necessary to make the solution accessible to the general public for purchase are well underway." https://productfolio.com/general-availability/

Ajax Bay

Guru
I don't know why you could be ar*ed to post all the stats
To be fair, @shep , @mjr doesn't post many stats, any more than you do.
He does offer some useful definitions though, for eg: 'wavelet', 'wave', 'general availability' which sometimes founder on the 'applicability' to vaccines or pandemic NPI management tests.
I'm waiting for "excluded minorities" (is that minors eg under 16 for whom we await evidence on vaccine safety and efficacy?),
And as a real tester "fairness".

Last edited:
To be fair, @shep , @mjr doesn't post many stats, any more than you do.
He does offer some useful definitions though, for eg: 'wavelet', 'wave', 'general availability' which sometimes founder on the 'applicability' test.
I'm waiting for "excluded minorities" (is that minors eg under 16 for whom we await evidence on safety and efficacy?),
And as a real tester "fairness".
Sorry, when you lot get going I'm hard pushed to keep up!:wacko:

Top Bottom