COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Son was jabbed today. Bit of a move on for him as he wouldn't let anyone stick a needle into him a few years ago. He's T1, and had a really bad phobia with needles from others - OK sticking himself.... went today, all OK. He got over it a couple of years ago, but it's not easy for T1's being 'in control' of 'sticking' themselves....

When came out from hospital with my busted spine, I had to have clot busters - I couldn't do it to myself. MrsF did it...
There's a big difference between sticking yourself with insulin needles and sticking yourself with intramuscular needles. I do the former several times a day no probs, I tried doing the latter once and nearly fainted.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Over 50s, your time has come!
I have been keeping a beady eye on this webpage for bookings and they have changed the lower age limit to 'over 50s'
I said on Saturday: "I predict the NHS vaccine booking website will very soon be dropping the 'age' criterion down to 50."
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...rus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
And 'Lo, it has come to pass'.
Vaccine supply and daily vaccination rate are ramping up. There are 4.6M 50-54 year olds in UK (a percentage will have had their first dose already in JCVI Gps 2,4 or 6), and daily rates will be half a million a day. Some will find that they are getting the Moderna mRNA vaccine - very effective (and the most expensive on the planet). The UK have an advance purchase contract for 17M doses of Moderna, for supply in 2021.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There's a big difference between sticking yourself with insulin needles and sticking yourself with intramuscular needles. I do the former several times a day no probs, I tried doing the latter once and nearly fainted.

I used to have a rather large needle every two weeks - when I was in hospital with the broken spine, most of the nurses wouldn't touch the needle as it was rather 'large' - they got the senior nurse to do it. No longer on them as I had a massive swelling from one injection, so moved on to a 'topical' application that is every day - burns the skin, but it's better than trying to get to the GP every two weeks, especially in covid times.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
Good news indeed, do we think over 40's will have been done before June 21st at this pace?
If the vaccination programme accelerates to the daily 'doses administered' rate widely suggested (4M a week) then my estimate for completing the over 40s (there are 8.4M 40-49s in UK) is 2 May. And by then nearly all the JCVI Gps 1-4 (overs 70s plus H&SCW plus CEV) will have received their second jab.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
First dose only is not completion.

If the vaccination programme accelerates to the daily 'doses administered' rate widely suggested (4M a week) then my estimate for completing the over 40s (there are 8.4M 40-49s in UK) is 2 May. And by then nearly all the JCVI Gps 1-4 (overs 70s plus H&SCW plus CEV) will have received their second jab.
So a full Month before restrictions are fully lifted (at the earliest) the over 40's should have been jabbed, gives it time to work.

Great news for most of this Forum I would have thought?

mjr

So a full Month before restrictions are fully lifted (at the earliest) the over 40's should have been jabbed, gives it time to work.

Great news for most of this Forum I would have thought?
In the words of Roy Walker, "It's good, but it's not right" as derestricting will see cases surge in younger people, mostly asymptomatic but not all, and giving a breeding ground for new variants of concern.

We're so close to sidelining this virus. Why give up three or four months short and risk waves 4 and probably 5 and reversing back into restrictions, for the sake of indoor boozing and ents?

mjr

Correct, would people not feel a little safer though I wonder?

Also, by August the 2nd dose would have been administered I guess?
Yes to both, I think, but feeling safer will probably mean increased risk-taking and the vaccines aren't certainties, so that is a danger which there does not seem to be a huge amount of emphasis in in the TV ads and so on.

In the words of Roy Walker, "It's good, but it's not right" as derestricting will see cases surge in younger people, mostly asymptomatic but not all, and giving a breeding ground for new variants of concern.

We're so close to sidelining this virus. Why give up three or four months short and risk waves 4 and probably 5 and reversing back into restrictions, for the sake of indoor boozing and ents?
Sorry, don't understand what's 'not right'?

My opinion that it might be 'Great news for the people on this forum'?

It's only my opinion don't forget, if people on this forum don't think it's good news then I'm obviously wrong.

Everything else you've said is your opinion and your're entitled to it.

Top Bottom