COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

You got a like for using 'groovy'. Don't hear that enough these days.

lane

Veteran
He had noted today that number of deaths will go up as the economy is opened up - so I doubt there will be a delay. Plus one dose gives good protection, which for a low risk cohort is maybe acceptable. Biggest risk to opening is variants - which sooner or later will cause problems.

PK99

Legendary Member
Clinically vulnerable folk are now receiving NHS letters saying that any adult in their household can receive the vaccine as part of the priority groups.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
So if my maths is right, that means all of this group, plus the end of the 50-60s and any future groups, won't get their second dose until weeks after Johnson's mid-June target date for complete derestriction. I hope he delays that a bit.

At which point you can come back on here and say that by the new date of ?/?? the 35-40 years olds won't have had their first doses so he should delay, the end point of which you will be able to say, the 35-40 year olds won't have had their second doses so he should delay, at which point you will be able to say that the 30-35 years olds haven't had their first jabs and he should delay, at the end of which you will be able to say the 30-35 year olds haven't had their second jabs, after which you will be able to say the 25-30 years olds haven't had their first jabs...........oh you get the idea.

Just be clear with us, at what point would you open things up completely again?

Ajax Bay

Guru
So if my maths is right, that means all of this group, plus the end of the 50-60s and any future groups, won't get their second dose until weeks after Johnson's mid-June target date for complete derestriction. I hope he delays that a bit.
More importantly @mjr have you booked your jab yet?
If my maths is right and the 'system' sticks to its current interpretation of 12 weeks, the average gap will be about 10 weeks.
The effectiveness against disease of one dose of any of the three vaccines is over 80% (aiui). This effectiveness goes up and its effect is given an extended life by the second dose (and a longer gap has a beneficial effect).
10 weeks after 12 Apr is 21 Jun. Anything happening 'no earlier than' that day?
My estimates are that by 21 Jun 48M will have received their first dose and of those 31M will have received their second dose as well. There'll be about 5M adults (18-25s) left to 'do'.
If the effectiveness of the vaccine to prevent transmission is better than Warwick University modellers' pessimistic expectation, the UK should be very close to heard community (why does CycleChat do that to that expression?) by the end of June (21 Jun + 7 days). Assumes no significant impact from emerging VoC and continued sensible restraint on behaviour.
1618326919330.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom