COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just as soon as any more than pseudonyms making vague claims show up...

Also, I'm rather disappointed if many scientists aren't keeping log books anyway that are good enough evidence already, without significant extra time spent on them.
And they've to "translate" their records into something that can be read by others, who may not have had similar training. Whilst keeping the originals intact.

Edited to correct
"Whilst keeping the originalals intact."
To
Whilst keeping the originals intact.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
(Aol 'news'): Great Western Hospital in Swindon has apologised after a woman was given the wrong vaccine when she went for her second jab - in the first error of its kind in the UK. The woman received the Pfizer vaccine instead of the AstraZeneca version that she was supposed to have and had been given first time around at the same hospital. The hospital said it was carrying out a review to ensure lessons are learned from the incident and it doesn't happen again.

Despite the mix-up the woman reportedly felt OK afterwards, but she and her husband, who want to remain anonymous, said they were still furious at the error. They said when she booked her appointment at the hospital she made it clear she had already been given the AstraZeneca vaccine. Her husband said: "I couldn’t believe it, it’s a huge error and very concerning. “They told us this is the first time it’s happened - not just in Swindon but in the UK.” (Comment: cf Subpostmasters?)

The husband, who himself was going for his first jab at the same time, said: “The call handler asked her which vaccine she had last time so we assumed that would be written down and passed on to the medics. “We split up into different rooms and when we came out, she told me what happened." His wife said that at no point during the appointment did the healthcare staff ask to see the card given to her after her first vaccine although she put it face-up on the table in clear view. He added: "Afterwards a doctor came out and said sorry and said we think you will be OK. "It does not make sense, there should be a number of fail safes in place to ensure this does not happen. We couldn’t understand how or why this had occurred.”

A Great Western Hospital spokesman said: “We have offered our sincere apologies for giving her a different Covid-19 vaccine as her second dose. We have taken advice from the South West Clinical Advice and Response Service, an external service that provides vaccination centres with expert advice and guidance. It advised that both of the currently authorised vaccines in this situation are based on the spike protein and so the second dose will work as it should to boost the response to the first dose. For this reason, no further doses are required, and we do not anticipate any ill effects arising from this. We are reviewing the current pathways within our vaccination hub to learn from this incident and make sure similar incidents are avoided in the future.”
Comment: In UK's 13,201,811 second doses, I'd say that one in 13 million would be an astounding programme performance, acknowledging it shouldn't happen and also that there's no evidence of dissimilar doses being less or more safe; or less or more effective. I think the husband being 'furious' almost reminds me of someone, but I can't recall who.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Comment: In UK's 13,201,811 second doses, I'd say that one in 13 million would be an astounding programme performance, acknowledging it shouldn't happen and also that there's no evidence of dissimilar doses being less or more safe; or less or more effective. I think the husband being 'furious' almost reminds me of someone, but I can't recall who

^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
but she and her husband, who want to remain anonymous, said they were still furious at the error. T

Two things.

If she wants to slag people off she ought to have the integrity to put her name to the comments.

But more importantly, take some personal responsibility.

I was given a card with the first dose to say I'd been Pfizered.

Before getting the second, I checked with the nurse to make sure it was Pfizer again.

Basic stuff.

This woman needs to grow up.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
A completely untrue story too.

This has happened hundreds of times! Whoever wrote that story should be struck off as journalist, taken outside and shot with a ball of their own urine.

dodgy

Always someone else's fault with some people, would you accept Brown Sauce if you'd asked for Ketchup?

Not saying the couple haven't over-reacted. But much has been made in the press and in general the last few months about the importance of having the same jab twice. Otherwise the messaging would have just been "get 2 jabs, whatever's available" But no, the rigid approach has been that it's important to follow up the second jab with the same as the first. This is why the hospital have apologised.

I agree with others that the fact this appears to have only happened once is amazing.

tl;dr not a lot to worry about, but it's not the same as the wrong sauce on your bangers.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the compo opportunity
. . . A completely untrue story too.
Edit: Yes, I thought the likelihood of the 'world first' - you lucky lady!' was nil. If the journo had gone to NHS England, I wonder whether they'd have got a 'yes, has happened loads of times' answer?
The COVID-19 Heterologous Prime Boost study aka ‘Com-Cov’ study to examine whether different vaccines can safely be used for 2-dose regimes in the future was initiated on 4 Feb.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...alternating-dose-vaccine-study-launches-in-uk

Last edited:

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
The COVID-19 Heterologous Prime Boost study aka ‘Com-Cov’ study to examine whether different vaccines can safely be used for 2-dose regimes in the future was initiated on 4 Feb.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...alternating-dose-vaccine-study-launches-in-uk

And that got extended a few days ago to cover all 4 vaccines in various combinations. There are now all sorts of combinations in Com-Cov. I tried to get on, but there was no study site near me, so I get my second AZ on Saturday as planned :okay:

Top Bottom