COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Effectiveness - if it's quoted at 95%, see below, from the USA, on the 5%
CDC report that 10,262 fully vaccinated residents of the USA experienced breakthrough* COVID-19 by 30 Apr (and think it likely the figure is under-reported). Within these, 27%, were asymptomatic and 2% (160 people) died.
995 people were hospitalized (12%), including 289 hospitalized for asymptomatic infection or for reasons unrelated to COVID-19,
Study was published online May 25 in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR).
By end April USA had fully (ie double dose) vaccinated 101M. 5% of 101M is . .
* tested positive for COVID-19 more than two weeks after being fully vaccinated.

Using those figures, and an in-my head approximate calculation, it would seem that - over what, two/three months?- ~ 0.01% (probably more, as I assume asymptomatic infections are more likely to have been missed/gone unreported) of the fully vaccinated experienced breakthrough infection(either symptomatic or asymptomatic), significantly fewer than 0.01% were hospitalised with C-19 and about 0.00016% of the vaccinated population actually died of C-19. We have no information on the ages and presence of co-morbidities in those for whom vaccination failed to provide full immunity, but nevertheless this is clearly an astonishingly-successful vaccine.

Buck

Guru
Boris just repeated the lie that the vaccine rollout could not have happened while part of the EMA (even though it started under that regime during the transition period) at Prime Minister's Questions. :sad:

Was this in response to Keir Starmer Today?

The quote from today’s Hansard says :-

Boris Johnson
”....When it comes to hindsight, I just remind him [Keir Starmer] that he actually—he denied this at the time and then had to correct it—voted to stay in the European Medicines Agency, which would have made it impossible for us to do the vaccine roll-out at the pace that we have.

.....We have delivered 60 million vaccinations across this country, more than—he loves these European comparisons—any other European country, including 22 million second doses. That, with great respect to the right hon. and learned Gentleman, is I believe the priority of the British people. That is really what they are focused on, while he voted to stay in the European Medicines Agency. The Opposition vacillate; we vaccinate. They deliberate; we deliver.”

If so, I’m not so sure your replay is quite correct?

Buck

Guru
Boris just repeated the lie that the vaccine rollout could not have happened while part of the EMA (even though it started under that regime during the transition period) at Prime Minister's Questions. :sad:

But I don’t see how the above is correct from my reading of the transcript. He didn’t say any of the above.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Boris and Handsoncock are Cnuts ....... !
Surely they have surreally pointed out that the tide will come in, whether they command it not to, or not.
I surmise that the PM decided that the trauma and political cost of sacking his Health Secretary outweighed the functional/efficiency benefits of a better replacement (who: Jeremy Hunt) and played to his preference for procrastination.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Vaccines
  • The purple line is the 7-day rolling average of daily doses administered. At the data cut we were about to break the previous high (in March). I've also put the estimate of lag between doses on there: pretty steady at ~10.6 weeks. Given recent policy statements I expect that steadily to decrease. All the Oxford-AZ supply will be going to second doses now.
  • Requirement for second doses (driven by the peak you can see in second half of March) will drop off in 14 days, and first doses can surge ahead (the 20s).
    • By 14 Jun, about 11M more first doses left to do by that point to complete the entire adult population. Decisions imminent on whether vaccines are to be authorised for older children as has happened recently in the USA.
    • It feels like focusing on gaps in coverage once the main process is complete will be the next logical step.
1622499952187.png

Landsurfer

Veteran
Had Covid, hospitalised, ill for 2 weeks .... full recovery .. like 99+% of others, both jabs .... no side effects ......
No more restrictions, no more masks ... no more rule by the idiocracy ...( no more rule by Idiots) ....
Your freedom is your choice ...
Take it now, don't wait for Boris and his mates to “give” you your rights back ...

I’m the tall, big, bloke in Aldi without the mask .... Say hello ....

• Wow
Reactions: C R

dodgy

Had Covid, hospitalised, ill for 2 weeks .... full recovery .. like 99+% of others, both jabs .... no side effects ......
No more restrictions, no more masks ... no more rule by the idiocracy ...( no more rule by Idiots) ....
Take it now, don't wait for Boris and his mates to “give” you your rights back ...

Let me guess, leave voter?
Welcome to the block zone, I can do without your kind of idiocy, including your 'cute' auto sig.

classic33

Leg End Member
Had Covid, hospitalised, ill for 2 weeks .... full recovery .. like 99+% of others, both jabs* .... no side effects ......

*You may be having a third later this year.

https://www.bradfordhospitals.nhs.u...ovid-19-vaccine-booster-study-launches-in-uk/

Reactions: C R

Rocky

Hello decadence
In response to an earlier post about Covid and the vaccine. My mother in law broke her leg just before Christmas and was admitted to hospital to have it fixed. She hadn't had the vaccine but was scheduled to. She caught Covid in hospital and died two days after Christmas. It was not a pleasant death.

My brother in law, who lived with his mother all his life, works in a local supermarket. He is harangued on a daily basis for reminding people it is policy to wear a mask when shopping. He finds it incredibly difficult being abused and knowing that his mother died of the same disease he is trying to stop others getting.

I find it absolutely appalling that someone should brag about not wearing a mask in Aldi, no matter how tall or big that person is.

So you're not concerned at all that you might - while asymptomatic yourself - be passing on C-19 to a person who for some perfectly-legitimate reason can't be vaccinated, or who is one of the minority who develop no immune response to it. And if that person already has respiratory issues ...
Right, well at least we know a where we are, and with that description I'll know to keep away from anyone answering to it.
I suppose you consider it's OK for asymptomatic carriers of typhoid to shoot in a paddling pool, too - and you'd let your kids play in it.

AndyRM

XOXO

Cool story bro.

In response to an earlier post about Covid and the vaccine. My mother in law broke her leg just before Christmas and was admitted to hospital to have it fixed. She hadn't had the vaccine but was scheduled to. She caught Covid in hospital and died two days after Christmas. It was not a pleasant death.

My brother in law, who lived with his mother all his life, works in a local supermarket. He is harangued on a daily basis for reminding people it is policy to wear a mask when shopping. He finds it incredibly difficult being abused and knowing that his mother died of the same disease he is trying to stop others getting.

I find it absolutely appalling that someone should brag about not wearing a mask in Aldi, no matter how tall or big that person is.

Please tell your brother-in-law that he has my support, sympathy and good wishes.

Top Bottom